Upgrading from a GTX 460

Beylous

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Hey, I'm in the market to upgrade my video card. I currently have this setup:

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
Processor: AMD Phenom 2 X4 965
Motherboard: Asus M4A89 GTD-PRO/USB 3
Power Supply: TT-8020 (There's another number/letter there but it's blocked by the fan "cage", sorry.)
Budget: 350-450

I'd like to go up to a GTX 560 or 570. Could someone possibly tell me which would give me a noticeable difference? I do alot of gaming, which is really all my computer is for, noticed that I have to scale things down and I'd really like to experience DirectX 11 without having to turn half the features off. I've tried reading the reviews and comparison charts but to be honest I can't understand them, I'm not very good with numbers and terms.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it :)

No point to getting a 560 when most barely manage 920-1ghz with might volts that only give it the performance of a 570 with nearly the same power consumption. Only when budget is limited or power supply would a gtx 560 be the best choice or it is something desired.

He would save money.

Of course we would need to know the PSU, but assuming the the PSU is strong enough, we are recommending things. If he played with all settings and 1080p or above, he would get a small bottleneck, not worth worrying about. If he wants the GTX 560 Ti performance, get a hd6950 and unlock it.

Beylous

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

Awesome! Good price too, thank you

I think that you are better off staying with what you got till you can swap out that psu or get a good one when you upgrade your card. Don't buy junk get a high quality unit not just the 80plus cert but the bronze or silver if you can afford it but gold is what is the best. Why is simple most of these higher 80+ rated units are made better with better parts and are under rated to be sold at a lower wattage so you can go a little further than some are rated for.

6870 or 6950
gtx 560 ti or better a gtx 570 as they are the same performance when the gtx 560 ti is close or at 1ghz but the 570 is stock. ;)

He said he had a 450w. If he had a better PSU wouldn't have. Just in case I misunderstood and he didn't have a 450w, he can open his case and look. It should be on the back. Right under 12v, what does is say? Something like 24A?