Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading from a GTX 460

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 21, 2011 10:24:45 PM

Hey, I'm in the market to upgrade my video card. I currently have this setup:

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
Processor: AMD Phenom 2 X4 965
Motherboard: Asus M4A89 GTD-PRO/USB 3
Power Supply: TT-8020 (There's another number/letter there but it's blocked by the fan "cage", sorry.)
Budget: 350-450

I'd like to go up to a GTX 560 or 570. Could someone possibly tell me which would give me a noticeable difference? I do alot of gaming, which is really all my computer is for, noticed that I have to scale things down and I'd really like to experience DirectX 11 without having to turn half the features off. I've tried reading the reviews and comparison charts but to be honest I can't understand them, I'm not very good with numbers and terms.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it :) 

More about : upgrading gtx 460

a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 10:39:27 PM

How many watts is your power supply?

Is your 460 a 1gb or 768mb? Why not add another 460?

m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 10:42:16 PM

geekapproved said:
How many watts is your power supply?

Is your 460 a 1gb or 768mb? Why not add another 460?


Crossfire board :pfff:  then again op all the op has to do is get the hack.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 10:45:17 PM

I suggest a gtx 570 then it will be somewhat worth the cost as a meaningful upgrade.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 11:01:16 PM

Since you have a CF board, grab a hd6950 and unlock it to a hd6970. Also, then you can CF in the future. Out of the GTX 560 and 570, I would get the 560 and OC it like crazy if you really need all of that performance.
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 11:14:20 PM

HostileDonut said:
Since you have a CF board, grab a hd6950 and unlock it to a hd6970. Also, then you can CF in the future. Out of the GTX 560 and 570, I would get the 560 and OC it like crazy if you really need all of that performance.


No point to getting a 560 when most barely manage 920-1ghz with might volts that only give it the performance of a 570 with nearly the same power consumption. Only when budget is limited or power supply would a gtx 560 be the best choice or it is something desired.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2011 11:32:21 PM

nforce4max said:
No point to getting a 560 when most barely manage 920-1ghz with might volts that only give it the performance of a 570 with nearly the same power consumption. Only when budget is limited or power supply would a gtx 560 be the best choice or it is something desired.

He would save money.
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 12:16:46 AM

Thanks so much for the help guys, like I said I'm a noob but I do know a little about what I'm doing, lol. I appreciate the help!

My GTX 460 is a 768 MB
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 12:18:16 AM

I'm not sure how you guys can recommend anything without know what psu he has. :pfff: 

And a 965BE would not be able to keep up with 6970's in Crossfire. :lol: 
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 12:19:13 AM

I think it's a 450W, I know it's thermaltake 8020A (I believe that's the last letter in it, kind of covered.)
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 12:19:35 AM

Plus I'm probably gonna grab a new PSU if needs be.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 12:22:33 AM

geekapproved said:
I'm not sure how you guys can recommend anything without know what psu he has. :pfff: 

And a 965BE would not be able to keep up with 6970's in Crossfire. :lol: 

Of course we would need to know the PSU, but assuming the the PSU is strong enough, we are recommending things. If he played with all settings and 1080p or above, he would get a small bottleneck, not worth worrying about. If he wants the GTX 560 Ti performance, get a hd6950 and unlock it.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 12:23:28 AM

Beylous said:
Plus I'm probably gonna grab a new PSU if needs be.

Yes, Theramltake doesn't make great PSUs, you will need something better. Do you want to ever do CF?
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 12:26:07 AM

CF? Is that the two video cards on one motherboard? If so then no, I really only use one.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 1:31:55 AM

Beylous said:
Awesome! Good price too, thank you

No problem! ;) 
m
0
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 1:51:11 AM

Beylous said:
I think it's a 450W, I know it's thermaltake 8020A (I believe that's the last letter in it, kind of covered.)


I think that you are better off staying with what you got till you can swap out that psu or get a good one when you upgrade your card. Don't buy junk get a high quality unit not just the 80plus cert but the bronze or silver if you can afford it but gold is what is the best. Why is simple most of these higher 80+ rated units are made better with better parts and are under rated to be sold at a lower wattage so you can go a little further than some are rated for.

6870 or 6950
gtx 560 ti or better a gtx 570 as they are the same performance when the gtx 560 ti is close or at 1ghz but the 570 is stock. ;) 
m
0
l
May 22, 2011 2:53:36 AM

Thanks again guys for the reply. It helps a ton, atleast I won't make an expensive mistake :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 3:30:28 AM

Beylous said:
Thanks again guys for the reply. It helps a ton, atleast I won't make an expensive mistake :) 

Yeah, it's nice to have forums to come t, huh? :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 12:56:33 PM

HostileDonut said:
We already suggested a PSU for him.


I find it baffling that you could suggest a new psu for him, without knowing what psu he already has. :lol: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 4:17:39 PM

geekapproved said:
I find it baffling that you could suggest a new psu for him, without knowing what psu he already has. :lol: 

He said he had a 450w. If he had a better PSU wouldn't have. Just in case I misunderstood and he didn't have a 450w, he can open his case and look. It should be on the back. Right under 12v, what does is say? Something like 24A?
m
0
l
!