Sign in with
Your question

Can my computer handle a GTX 460?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2011 10:37:50 PM

Hello,

My current graphics card(ATI 4850) is dying on me and I'm thinking about upgrading to a GTX 460 since I only want to be paying about $150.

Will my computer be able to handle it though? I have a 550W Antec PSU, Q6600 CPU, 2 HDDs and 1 SSD, a USB 3.0 pci card, and a wifi pci card.

I'm mostly worried about having enough power(i think that's the only thing to really worry about) and I'm not sure how much the 460 or anything else in my computer uses.

Also, how much of a noticable improvement will I see going from an ATI 4850 to an NVidia 460?
a b Î Nvidia
May 21, 2011 10:40:32 PM

Yes but your cpu is likely well more than likely to hold your card back by a lot if it is stock clocked. The gtx 460 is also known to have some problems for those who don't stay on top of things. They made them very cheaply and cut corners on cooling. The psu is good enough.
m
l
May 21, 2011 11:11:48 PM

You won't see any improvement if your cpu is only running 2.4ghz.
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2011 11:48:30 PM

Yes he will see them. I'm talking from experience here...

I did that proof of concept when I had my X1800XL and switched it for a 4850 in my Athlon64 X2 4400+ (Toledo, @2.4Ghz) old rig. It really pushed games further by a lot: I had frame drop, yes, but it wasn't terrible that you could say "don't upgrade to that card and get a new system". After that I put my current 4890 with the Athlon and it showed more FPS.

Besides, that CPU can be OCed easily to 2.8Ghz that will be plenty for a GTX460. Hell, my PhII @ 3.9Ghz is overkill for 1080p and my 4890; doing the reverse: underclocking it to 2.4Ghz, which i found was the least speed I needed for Crysis to run with the 4890 max'ed out.

Oh well... Leaving that rant aside... Your system will be fine if you put that GTX460 inside. If you have 2GB of ram, try getting more IMO. As for the "improvement" you ask, well it depends on the game itself... If you play WoW, you won't see that much of an improvement actually, but if you play GTA IV, the extra VRAM will be very welcome. On Valve games, it won't be that much of an improvement either. Maybe on Crysis you will or Metro2033; games that actually tax the GPU a lot.

Cheers!
m
l
May 22, 2011 12:14:06 AM

Alright, thanks guys. My CPU is overclocked to 3.0 Ghz so hopefully that won't hold it back too much, but even if it does my current graphics card is dying and I need a new one anyways, so oh well.

nforce4max said:
The gtx 460 is also known to have some problems for those who don't stay on top of things. They made them very cheaply and cut corners on cooling. The psu is good enough.

What kind of problems are there? My graphics card right now seemed to have a lot of problems of its own(it kept overheating, artifacting, blue screening during flash videos and games) and that's one of the reasons I want to get an NVidia card next instead of another ATI card.

I'm already used to dusting out my graphics card regularly in order to keep the temperatures down, but is there anything else I'd need to do to keep the 460 working fine?
m
l
May 22, 2011 12:14:57 AM

That's because the X1800XL was so ancient, of course you saw a improvement.
m
l
May 22, 2011 12:25:19 AM

geekapproved said:
That's because the X1800XL was so ancient, of course you saw a improvement.

I'm not that big of an eyecandy fan, but when I got GRID and the X1800XL was struggling a lot a medium settings, I knew it was time for a change... So I asked a friend's 4850 to do the testing.

After having his card around for a few weeks, broke the piggy bank (was at the Uni, poor as dirt, lol) and got the 4890. Haven't changed it since, but planning to very soon. Not because it doesn't keep up, but because I want DX11's DC, OpenCL and APP... Also UVD3 :D roll:

And flipper: sometimes getting a recognized brand is better, even if it costs a few more bucks. You can check warranty time, build quality and most and overall, comments on the interwebz about the brand you're looking for. That's what that statement looks after.

I'm not very savvy on nVidia brands, so I can't give you advice on that front 8(

But on ATI's side, Sapphire and Asus are great ones IMO :p 

Cheers!
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 22, 2011 2:03:14 AM

flipper123 said:
Alright, thanks guys. My CPU is overclocked to 3.0 Ghz so hopefully that won't hold it back too much, but even if it does my current graphics card is dying and I need a new one anyways, so oh well.

What kind of problems are there? My graphics card right now seemed to have a lot of problems of its own(it kept overheating, artifacting, blue screening during flash videos and games) and that's one of the reasons I want to get an NVidia card next instead of another ATI card.

I'm already used to dusting out my graphics card regularly in order to keep the temperatures down, but is there anything else I'd need to do to keep the 460 working fine?

The gtx 460 is a lot of work compared to other cards that I have owned. I miss using my ati cards when drivers actually Worked. I did a lot of cooling mods to mine but hopefully I won't have to deal with the results of bad temps unlike most instead of having to rma or buy a new card. The first thing you to do is add cooling to the power vrm and the easy way if there is room is to use small heatsinks that are meant to cool vram. like these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That will help keep the card stable in the long run as that is the hottest part of the whole card. Link the one that you got and I will help from there. The vram is the hard part so do bother with it as there is not enough space to get any heatsinks under the cooler that are thin enough or to much room to ware very thick thermal pads are needed. So only focus on the vrm.

Link the one that you got and we will go from there if you want to mod.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 22, 2011 2:05:11 AM

Yuka said:
I'm not that big of an eyecandy fan, but when I got GRID and the X1800XL was struggling a lot a medium settings, I knew it was time for a change... So I asked a friend's 4850 to do the testing.

After having his card around for a few weeks, broke the piggy bank (was at the Uni, poor as dirt, lol) and got the 4890. Haven't changed it since, but planning to very soon. Not because it doesn't keep up, but because I want DX11's DC, OpenCL and APP... Also UVD3 :D roll:

And flipper: sometimes getting a recognized brand is better, even if it costs a few more bucks. You can check warranty time, build quality and most and overall, comments on the interwebz about the brand you're looking for. That's what that statement looks after.

I'm not very savvy on nVidia brands, so I can't give you advice on that front 8(

But on ATI's side, Sapphire and Asus are great ones IMO :p 

Cheers!

The x1800xl wasn't really meant to be a performer, just a stop gap of a card. Hugs my x1900xt :D 
As for the 4850 I still like those cards as they were a Real upgrade in their day.
m
l
!