A bottlenecked GPU?

Castle7

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
i5-2500k @4.4ghz
Msi 6950 twin frozr 2
8gig g.skill (recognized at 1600mhz / 1.5v right away by mobo)

So Ive ran a few different benchmarks including 3d-mark, Unigine...PassTest. My CPU seems to bench fairly well but my gpu seems to be getting some oddly low scored in comparison to others with the same card.

I get 1900+ points in pass test while others get 3000 for the 6950.
The same test gives me great scores (2000+ above other i5-2500ks) when i run the cpu test. My memory tests get high scores too.
Windows experience gives my cpu 7.6, memory 7.8 and gpu 6.7.

Tried updating drivers, and overclocking a bit on the gpu. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Castle7

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Oh I thought benchmarks Kind of mimic gaming? Sorry I dont know what the difference is...
In regards to your post, I started downloading the Rift Demo. That should be a good benchmark.

And btw I forgot to post my unigine with 4x AA 1920x1080p score was 717.
880+ without the AA.

Well, benchmarks try to, but they fall short on some key points and they just work as a direct epeen measure IMO, lol.

Thanks for not taking it as a personal attack, but when you only focus on benchies, you might be blowing money you don't actually need to. Besides, there's a lot that influence benchies that don't influence games that much or influence them in another way.

For example: I play Wow @1080p and my system is a big overkill for it... But I also keep my browser open in the background, Winamp, Ventrilo, XFire, Gtalk, Messenger (sometimes) and sometimes I forget to stop the OracleXE database server (that's 1GB of ram to the trash, lol). When I play L4D2 is the same history...

But when you want to benchmark, you BENCHMARK, lol.

Cheers!

EDIT: typos.

Castle7

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
its a 2gig msi twin frozr 2 version which does not unlock to 6970. However I did overclock to 900mhz and raised voltage from 1112 to 1132. I am just nearing the deadline for RMA and im still downloading this huge 9gig rift demo to test it.

I just cant seem to understand why mine would score so much lower than others... I mean a card either works or it doesnt right? Not half the work of another replica.

I forgot to mention I am running everything through a 42 inch LCD tv, but that wouldnt have anything to do with it right?

The only thing i use benchmarks for is as a quick reference for future upgrades. Once i am happy that i have things as i want and have tested with games i run the latest 3dmark test and note it down somewhere. Then its teh first thing i run when ui upgrade just as a ball park idea how much better the upgrade is.

Over clocking things can cause your scores to head south so you might want to test at stock first then apply your Over clocks to see what real world difference, if any they make.

Mactronix :)

Again, others are scoring higher than you because they unlocked the shaders on theirs to 6970 shaders. :hello:

Castle7

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Ran Rift on Ultra with Edge smoothing AA.
Was getting mainly 45 Fps with everything pretty much up. This game was reassuring enough though i dont know how Demanding Rift is.
Thanks for all the advice.