tennisplayer01

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hi everyone I just bought a Sennheiser HD 650

Need to know what soundcard to get

I currently have an ASUS p8p67 pro motherboard with built in sound

Let me know the suggestions :)

Solution
Well, first and formost, the HD 650 has a rated imedance of 300 Ohms. What that means to you, is without an amplifier, the headset will have a VERY low sound output. As a result, only 5 soundcards are even worth considering:

1: Auzentech Bravura
2: Creative Titanium HD
3: HT Omega Claro XT
4: ASUS Xonar Xense
5: ASUS Essence ST/STX

All these cards have an amp capable of driving that headset. Personally, the ASUS Essence ST/STX is probably the way to go for that headset. Especially since the cost of a soundcard is miniscule compared to the price of that headset. [MSRP: $650 O-0]
Well, first and formost, the HD 650 has a rated imedance of 300 Ohms. What that means to you, is without an amplifier, the headset will have a VERY low sound output. As a result, only 5 soundcards are even worth considering:

1: Auzentech Bravura
2: Creative Titanium HD
3: HT Omega Claro XT
4: ASUS Xonar Xense
5: ASUS Essence ST/STX

All these cards have an amp capable of driving that headset. Personally, the ASUS Essence ST/STX is probably the way to go for that headset. Especially since the cost of a soundcard is miniscule compared to the price of that headset. [MSRP: $650 O-0]

Solution

tennisplayer01

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
So you would suggest basically anything under these 5 are pointless

What about the sound card on my ASUS motherboard. Will they differ at all?
How much better are these soundcards over my asus built on board

That headset will not work well without an amplifier, period. Thats the one [major] drawback of high impedance headphones: Without enough power, they simply will not be able to produce any meaningful volume. So unless you have an amp already hanging around, your only option is a soundcard with an amplifier capable of driving a 300 ohm headset.

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I would highly recommend an E-MU 0204 external card for a stellar budget unit. Measures outstandingly well. I know as I own 650's and an 0204 . I use the 0204 as a pre-amp but it powers the cans on its own very well. :) For an amp, I run a Project Sunrise hybrid tube amp, in which I was one of the designers :D And yes, it is a bad arse amp!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS