Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Good Home theater Graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 22, 2011 2:43:28 AM

I am thinking about upgrade my old home theater pc. Because it doesn't support pass through on the new dts Master audio and Dolby True HD to my amp.
Is there a Graphic card or sound card that will add this ability for me? I know intel core iX processors will do it. But to add one of those I would need to completely redo my HTPC. And was hoping for a cheaper solution. Like a $50-$150 video card. And it would be nice if the Graphics card would help on the video play back as well. The poor little 2.6GHz AMD single core processor I have now, barley makes it by:) 
This is also a small form factor, so it will need to be a slim card

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 3:44:24 PM

Is audio and video playback your only use for this upgrade? Are there any other tasks that you plan to use this system for?

If thats the only use then I would 2nd sayantans suggestion. What I'm also getting at is, do you want the highest performing card you can get for 150 to put in a beefier upgraded system later or do you want to get out on the cheapest outing to make your current system work for now?...

Also, can you list your full system specs so we know the full limitations of your setup? That will help...
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2011 9:35:09 PM

Yeah it is only used for a Home theater pc. (audio and HD Video and hulu and netflix) I am planning on building me a new one when this one can't handled what I need it to do. Intell i3 processors have all of the Audio Formats built in, So I think I would just use the on board video on the new computer instead of adding a video card. (One less thing to cause a problem). So this is just a upgrade to make what I have work for now. So the cheaper the better.

Specs
acer Aspire Ax1200
CPU AMD Athlon 64 LE-1600 2.2 GHz (was wrong with my 2.6 GHz I was thinking about another computer)
RAM 2GB DDR2
Graphics Nvidia GeForce 9200 256 MBytes
Hard Drive 500GB
OS Windows 7 Home Premium.

I am worried about the power supply, I don't think it is that powerful, I can't find the wattage any where on the power supply its self, But for the small wimpy computer it needs to power I say it is no more then 300 watts maybe less like 250W.

That HD 6450 saids it recommends a 400W PS , Think I can get away with only 250W?
m
l
May 23, 2011 10:50:15 PM

Ok I manage to peek it barely 90 watts.
But it hangs out at 70 most of the time, and some times hits 85 watts.

I found this
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6450-caic...

the HD 6450 at max hits 135 Watts 90 + 135 is 225 watts. So I am missing 5 watts, But how often does everything at once hit max power?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 6:07:24 AM

Catsrules said:
Ok I manage to peek it barely 90 watts.
But it hangs out at 70 most of the time, and some times hits 85 watts.

I found this
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6450-caic...

the HD 6450 at max hits 135 Watts 90 + 135 is 225 watts. So I am missing 5 watts, But how often does everything at once hit max power?

135W is the total system power draw which also includes an overclocked i5 2500k CPU.So no need to worry, your total system power would be less than 220W even under full load.
HD 6450 should consume around (135-95*)=40W under full load.So your max system load would never exceed (90+40)=130W.
*95W is the TDP of i5 2500k

Also if you are considering new i3 system your total cost would be far more than adding a new gpu.
May 24, 2011 6:44:02 AM

sayantan said:
135W is the total system power draw which also includes an overclocked i5 2500k CPU.So no need to worry, your total system power would be less than 220W even under full load.
HD 6450 should consume around (135-95*)=40W under full load.So your max system load would never exceed (90+40)=130W.
*95W is the TDP of i5 2500k

Also if you are considering new i3 system your total cost would be far more than adding a new gpu.

Haha my bad, I guess that is what I get for skimming over stuff. :) . Glad to see power will not be a problem

Yeah I figure upgrading to i3 would be around $300-$400. At the moment I think a new GPU will be enough to get buy.

I think I will go for the HD 6450 and call it good.

Thanks for all of your help.
m
l
May 31, 2011 12:42:02 AM

It arrived a few days day ago. Put it in and the sounds work !!!:)  TrueHD and master Audio never sounded so good.
It might be my imagination but when I play HD video it look more crisp and sharper, then what I remember.
The hardware acceleration, it great, That poor CPU needs all the help it can get.

Well again thanks for all of your help.
m
l
May 31, 2011 12:42:23 AM

Best answer selected by catsrules.
m
l
!