My pc doesn't like my graphics card HELP

yesoog

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Hello,
i am new to this forum and require some help.i recently purchased an ati radeon hd5570c graphics card for my pc.my specs r as follows,compaq presario sr5025
580w psu
2gb ram
80gb hdd
945gct motherboard
intel celeron cpu
so heres the prob.when i put the graphics card in and boot my pc is does not detect my hardware,yet when i put it in my wifes pc it works fine.im guessing this is why my monitor goes to sleep when i plug it in to the dvi.could my motherboard be locked as has been suggested in other posts i have read.any info would be helpfull thx.

Solution
ATI cards have more compatibility problems with some Intel chipsets and most VIA chipsets, particularly from older mother boards. If that board uses the Intel 845 chipset, you have to realize that was designed in 2004 and will perform less than ideal with most modern video cards.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-009236.htm

Recommendation is to get your money back on the video card, then get a used 8800 GTS 640 or 320 off of eBay. That will increase your gaming performance from on-board video and is more likely to be compatible with your Chipset. It is not as nice as the HD 5770, but you can't expect to use something that new on an older board without having problems.

Depending on which Intel Celeron you are using, that CPU...

yesoog

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
psu is 580w,normaly on startup my pc detects new hardware and then i install drivers.monitor keeps going to sleep on startup but works fine with onboards graphics,had no probs with my gt7600 card and have read that my motherboard could be locked could this be true?

yesoog

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

yes maybe this could be the problem,the question is for me new motherboard or gt240??

i dont know wat you mean by locked motherboard, this makes no sense. could you re-phrase that...something may be lost in translation here.

illbashu

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007

Maybe he means that the motherboard is locked by the manufacturer to only support certain video cards.

majesticlizard

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
ATI cards have more compatibility problems with some Intel chipsets and most VIA chipsets, particularly from older mother boards. If that board uses the Intel 845 chipset, you have to realize that was designed in 2004 and will perform less than ideal with most modern video cards.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-009236.htm

Recommendation is to get your money back on the video card, then get a used 8800 GTS 640 or 320 off of eBay. That will increase your gaming performance from on-board video and is more likely to be compatible with your Chipset. It is not as nice as the HD 5770, but you can't expect to use something that new on an older board without having problems.

Depending on which Intel Celeron you are using, that CPU will bottleneck a 5770 severely anyway.

Solution

yesoog

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
thanks people for your comments & help,got a refund on my graphics card then purchased nvidia gt430 more$$$ but so far so good.as Majesticlizard posted must have been compatibility issue with ATI card.lesson learnt , once again thanks for your input