Scary auto tuning question

spudinske

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Hey guys, so I'm using a p8z77-v pro board with an i5-3570k and decided to use the auto tuning. I used extreme and might I say, watching how high it will go was SO suspenseful. So once it reached 4.5ghz on ratio it crashed and automatically powered down, I know it's supposed to do this. But when it powered on it would power on for 3 seconds and off then up for 2 and off the up and finally the mobo speaker would beep and then post and boot correctly into windows and continue tuning with bclk. It reached 4.63 then turned off and then did te same thing as before, power on and off about 3 times before getting that post "beep" sound. Loads into windows and tells me it overclocked to only 4.53. If it was stable at 4.6 to go to 4.63 why didn't it go to that? But anyways.

I'm worried about the computer powering on and off like that. Everything is working fine ATM. Voltage idles at 1.192 and goes up to 1.296 in prime. Maybe to high? It felt like a horror movie watching it power on and off like that. Am I ok? Is it powering on and off to do some things internally? And why did it only give me 4.53 when it passed the stability test at 4.6?

Go to BIOS>Advanced>AI Tweaker tab to manipulate the processor speed.

AI overclocke tuner change to manual

Type only number 44x multiplier @ By all cores slot where it says auto.

Than press F10 button to save and exit.

It will OC to 4.4GHz.

Looks somewhat like this windows.

B5B.jpg

spudinske

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
I'm using a noctua nh-d14. Temps in prime are 65-68 and 32-34 on idle. I have already uninstalled asus suite (so many processes) but I feel like keeping the oc, partly because it oced my memory.

With this fan I'm looking toward 4.6 or 4.7 but can someone answer the main question?

garrettk4

Honorable
May 31, 2012
I was like 15 at the time an my friend was over an he supposedly knew how to overclock and cranked up my e7200 (Core 2Duo) up to 3.8ghz on the stock cooler. An he said just play around with it an you will figure it out.

Fast forward 5 years the computer bit the dust and I realize i shouldn't have played around with it, especially when it was on its stock cooler, Pretty sure it got fried and it doesn't help that the motherboard ram slots failed too :p

So i have my new one listed in my sig. It's already fast but I'm curious about overclocking

Asus motherboards tend to do this a lot. The best way to force a full reinitialization of the clock generator and associated power delivery hardware (especially since Asus uses proprietary DSPs to manage power, other manufacturers do not) is to actually completely power down the system and power it up again. This usually won't happen if you're overclocking manually but the autotune programs are known to do it.