GPU for 3 monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uruloki43

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
So I already have 3x 19" 1280x1024 monitors and will be purchasing a new system this Fall to accommodate.
The AMD Radeon 6850 seems to be a good starting point... with the potential to maybe XFire in the future.
Is this enough for say SC2 and a AAA MMO like Star Wars:TOR when it finally come out this Fall(fingers crossed)?

Solution
A single 6850 is pretty cheap and would at least give you the chance to experience 3 monitor spanning on some games although not on the highest settings. They scale pretty well in CF so adding another would be an option if you wanted. I would hate to tell you to buy anything more expensive given your monitor setup, in games that only work on one monitor it certainly would be no use to have anything more powerful given the low resolution of your screens, and I doubt you want to spend a ton of money of vidoe cards to drive a 3 screen setup without knowing if the games you playi will even support it. I would go ahead with the single 6850 for now and see if your going to get alot of use out of eyefinity before upgrading to accomidate it.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
At your full resolution of 3840x1024 a single 6850 would probably struggle with newer games at anything over medium. Are you sure those games even support eyefinity resolutions? I play alot of SC2 and I'm not sure how spanning 3 screens could help.

uruloki43

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

SC2 does not to my understanding. Likely considered cheating or unfair advantage... could maybe rotate each into portrait for 3072x1280 resolution (or something close) o_O
Bioware has mentioned a "potential" for 3x1 set ups. but everything is hypothetical with them atm...
May get DA and seems like every video card comes with Shogun Total War, so may have to play that too, but not as likely.
Just an indicator of the caliber of game I'd want to play on it. No Crysis 2 or COD for example.

If 6850 would struggle, how would 6870, 6950 (may as well just go 3x2 and make it even worse ^^), or 2x 6850 compare?

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
A single 6850 is pretty cheap and would at least give you the chance to experience 3 monitor spanning on some games although not on the highest settings. They scale pretty well in CF so adding another would be an option if you wanted. I would hate to tell you to buy anything more expensive given your monitor setup, in games that only work on one monitor it certainly would be no use to have anything more powerful given the low resolution of your screens, and I doubt you want to spend a ton of money of vidoe cards to drive a 3 screen setup without knowing if the games you playi will even support it. I would go ahead with the single 6850 for now and see if your going to get alot of use out of eyefinity before upgrading to accomidate it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS