Strange home LAN networking issues

jeffcarp

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
I am having a strange problem with my Dell Vostro 1500 running Windows 7 Professional on my home network. I connect using wireless using the built-in Dell 1490 wireless adapter updated to the latest Dell drivers. I actually have two of these machines, nearly identical except that the other has Windows 7 Home. It does NOT have this same problem.

I have no issues with my wireless connection to my Belkin Router. I have a very strong signal and have never had any Internet connectivity issues over wireless from this machine. The problem is that when I try to connect over the LAN, I cannot connect to anything.

Both my Dell laptops are connected to the Belkin router wireless. I also have an Epson Artisan 810 printer network connected via a wired cable. The Dell Vostro 1500 running W7Pro will not connect to the printer, and I cannot connect to the other Dell Vostro's shared folders when using the wireless connection. If I disable wireless and plug in a network cable to my Dell Vostro 1500, I CAN print without issue and I can browse to the other Vostro's shared folders.

When I wireless, if I ping the printer's IP address I get 3 no responses and the 4th ping returns a response in <1ms, for a 75% packet loss. If I connect that same machine to the wired network cable I can ping the printer's IP address without issue with 0% packet loss.

Both Dell laptops both have the Dell 1490 wireless adapter.

Any ideas?

I don't know for sure if this is the problem, but if the router has a wireless option called "AP Isolation", make sure it's disabled.

AP Isolation prevents wireless devices from communicating w/ each other. It's a security feature available w/ some routers. However, they can still communicate w/ any wired devices. And that's why I'm not sure. Although AP Isolation seems consistent w/ your communications problems between the laptops, it's NOT consistent w/ your wired printer. I suppose it’s possible it’s not just one thing causing all the problems. Maybe the wireless laptops can’t communicate w/ each other due to AP Isolation, but the printer is a completely different problem.

Anyway, it’s easy enough to just check the router’s wireless section, see if there’s an AP Isolation option, and make sure it’s disabled. Then work from there.

TRENDING THREADS