Rampage iv extreme does not power up

JeffFinnan

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Hi there,

I just installed this new mother board into an existing chassis with a 700 watt power supply. When tuning on power, the onboard start/reset swiches light up along with the BIOS1_LED. Also the Go LED lights for a split second. On hitting the start button, the chassis fan starts to rotate and the power supply fan tries to rotate. Also the top GND and the ICH_PCIE of the Voltiminder LED II light for a split second. Then nothing.

The start and reset buttons stay lit but do not do anything unless I kill power or hit the CMOS reset.

I pulled out the video card and unplugged the hard drives to relieve any power drain. Again same results.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

===============System=======================
CPU and Cooler and RAM installed by Motherboard supplier: J&N Computer Services

Intel i7 3930k socket 2011 CPU, 6-core, 3.2Ghz

GELID Solutions Tranquillo CC-TranQ-01-A 120mm
Hydro Dynamic CPU Cooler * REV. 2

Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin
DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
• Total memory installed - 32GB

GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express
3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
======================================

JeffFinnan

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
I thought that all the power to the drives had been disconnected. However, one pair was still connected and that power cable seems to be corrupt. When cable is not connected to any drive, the system powers up.

Not all is okay yet. Fans come on, drives power up. However, there is no BIOS beep(s) and monitor shows nothing. Even took out the video card just to see if there were any beeps. None.

Thanks,
Jeff

Early versions of the RIVE have horrible firmware problems. As of firmware revision 1404 all but one major problem has been fixed. Most of the time it is possible to recover the board by pressing the "clear settings" button on the back panel, you can't miss it. Do not play around with the clock battery, this will not do anything! Consult your motherboard manual to see which POST code it gets stuck on, just look at the 2 x 7 segment display in the top right corner

I highly suggest that you update the firmware as soon as you get the board running. This can be done from within the system setup and only requires that the firmware be placed in a USB storage drive. FAT32, NTFS, and EXT2+ will work just fine.

Also, 700 watts is a bit anaemic. The LGA2011 processors will draw over 220 watts when overclocked to 4+Ghz (more on the 3960x thanks to the extra cache). Combine that with 200 watts on a stock 680 and you're already drawing 400+ watts under load with those two components alone. If you want to add a second 680 at a later time you must get a new PSU