jbdubz33

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Hey guys after going through many gaming comapnies online and looking at my situation
I decided to buy an imac 27" .
I will only be using this for gaming WoW,SC2 and maybe Call of Duty....
My parents said theyll buy me a new computer after i graduate out of highschool..which i only have 2 more years of.
heres the key parts of the system

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

I know macs arent known for gaming but i wont be gaming too hardcore... 3-4 months out of the year i wont be able to game alot cause of other activities.. but will this spec allow me to game WoW or Sc2 at maximum settings?
Any feedbacks wud be appreciated

jbdubz33

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
yea its just that my dad didnt wanna order online causes hes old school n he says he doenst like the risks so for me i really dont have the choice to order online from other places.. as for money he says hes paying so i could really care less . but aside from all that.. will those specs allow me to game at max settings for those games?

The HD 6970M is actually based on the desktop HD 6850,.... So it should be able to handle most of the current games in high detail settings @1920x1080 and maybe lower - say Medium-High settings at the native resolution of that 27" imac(2560 by 1440). But Crysis and Metro 2033 will lag in the highest detail settings even at 1920x1080, so at the native resolution, you would again have to lower the settings...
But as for the games that you have mentioned, it should not be much of a problem,...

To get a better idea of the performance, check the performance of the HD 6850, which will be similar to the 6970M
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6870-radeon-hd-6850-barts,2776.html
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/10/22/ati-radeon-hd-6850-review/
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-review/

jbdubz33

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
oh okay well yea WoW and SC2 are the only games that will be played on this mac. i really wont have the time to play anymore games than those 2 . thank you for ur feedback!

^ Just and idea...why not try brick and mortar stores such as Microcenter/ Frys and such ?? They might have pre-assembled custom gaming PCs which will offer similar or better performance for less,...but again if your parents are well set on the imac, then cant do anything about it,...

jbdubz33

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
yea well me and my dad really dont like how crazy PCs can get with all the wires and such and he likes how macs are "clean" in those areas. my pc right now ive had for i think 5 years now.. and is a total garbage... i played wow til the new expansion came out and had to stop cause it was pretty much not able to handle it.
so im guessin this mac ought to be helllaaa lot better than what ive had to deal with all these years. my friend says this spec shud allow me to play on max settings so thats all it matter for me. and like i said i really wont have time to play other games but these two cause even with wow and starcraft2 i wont be playing them consistently all year around everysingle day.