Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PA Speakers as Speaker Setup for my rig

Last response: in Components
October 25, 2011 9:04:20 PM

Hey guys!

I've recently asked about a question in another topic, and I now wonder about something else...
I have purchased PA speakers for my studio and set up my computer close to them.

My speakers are these :

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/pa-cabinets/a...
Spoiler

Compact, lightweight 2-way active loudspeaker system
12-inch extended range low frequency driver
1.34-inch (34mm) compression driver with 1-inch exit
400 watts of output power
XLR mic input
1/4-inch line input
Volume control
2-band equalizer (Bass and Treble Controls)
Line output allows daisy chaining of additional speakers
Built-in Optimax compressor/limiter with two-stage speaker protection
1-3/8-inch pole mount receptacle
Two oversized ergonomic carry handles
Dual-angle floor monitor positioning options
Solid polypropylene construction

I wanted to know if my computer tower is really really close to one of the speaker cabinets, will a magnetic field interfere with either and cause damage to data on the computer, or damage to the speaker? I didn't turn them on yet, but they are close to my tower, on the floor, just besides it and I wanted to be sure before doing anything...

Also, I wanted to know if it was possible to make these PA speakers my computer speakers...
I have this sound card : HT Omega Claro +

http://www.htomega.com/claroplus.html

Spoiler
Built in front panel audio connect, Enhanced microphone volume level
The C-Media Oxygen HD CMI8788 Audio Processor is main engine of CLARO
4 pcs 24-bit/192kHz AK4396VF (120dB-part spec.) DACs for 7.1channel output. (24-bit/192kHz in 7.1channel playback)
1 pc 24-bit/192kHz WM8785G (110dB-part spec.) ADC input (24-bit/192kHz recording)
1 pc CMI9780 AC'97 2.3 CODEC for AUX input, CD input, MIC input (16bit/48kHz playback/recording)
Integrated up to 192k/24-bit S/PDIF high grade special Optical and Coaxial connectors for 44.1kHz,48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz SPDIF output. (work simultaneously)
Integrated up to 192k/24-bit S/PDIF high grade special Optical receiver SPDIF (PCM) input.
Supports onboard Coaxial or CD Digital input connector for up to 192kHz SPDIF input. (Optional Cable need for Coaxial input)
Standard 10PIN Front Panel Audio supports connectivity for stereo audio output and a microphone input from PC case
DTS Interactive - A real-time 5.1 channel encoder.
DTS Neo: PC - An upmix matrix technology.
Dolby Digital Live (DDL) - A real-time 5.1 channel encoding.
Dolby ProLogic IIx surround processor spreading stereo audio into 7.1 channel surround sound.
Dolby Headphone technology, conveying 5.1 surround and 3D gaming audio over stereo headphones.
Dolby Virtual Speaker solution, bringing amazing virtual surround sound fields via general two speakers.
C-Media FlexBass - LFE channel crossover frequency selectable from range 50 to 250Hz in Small speaker mode and Small/Large speaker selectable.
C-Media Magic Voice, popular feature for disguising your tone in online chatting.
C-Media Xear 3D 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter technology.
C-Media's unique Karaoke functions: Microphone Echo, Key-shifting.
10-band EQ with 27 presets
Supports most industrial standards of 3D sound for PC gaming, by DirectSound

I'm trying to make it play through this Amp unit :

Behringer Xenyx 1204USB

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/1204USB.aspx

Spoiler

Premium ultra-low noise, high headroom analog mixer
4 state-of-the-art XENYX, phantom-powered Mic Preamps comparable to stand-alone boutique preamps
4 studio-grade compressors with super-easy "one-knob" functionality and control LED for professional vocal and instrumental sound
Neo-classic "British" 3-band EQs for warm and musical sound
Built-in stereo USB/Audio Interface to connect directly to your computer. Free audio recording, editing and podcasting software plus 150 instrument/effect plug-ins and ultra-low latency driver downloadable at www.behringer.com
2 aux sends per channel: 1 pre fader for monitoring applications, 1 post fader for external FX devices
Clip LEDs and mute/alt 3-4 function on all channels
2 subgroups with separate outputs for added routing flexibility
2 multi-functional stereo aux returns with flexible routing
Balanced main mix outputs with gold-plated XLR connectors plus separate control room, headphones and stereo tape outputs
Control room/phones outputs with multi-input source matrix
Long-wearing 60-mm logarithmic-taper faders and sealed rotary controls
"Planet Earth" switching power supply for maximum flexibility (100 - 240 V~), noise-free audio, superior transient response plus low power consumption for energy saving
Rack mount brackets included for ultimate flexibility
High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life
Conceived and designed by BEHRINGER Germany

Thanks for all your input, I'm planning on trying this out today so fast replies are welcome :) 
October 25, 2011 10:30:47 PM

I would *HIGHLY* suggest not placing large MAGNETS next to a computer / MAGNETIC STORAGE device (Hard Drive) unless you don't want to save any data ;) 
Score

Best solution

October 25, 2011 10:32:44 PM

And yes, you can play your computer speakers through the sounds system.

Take a mini audio cable (1/8") to RCA splitter, and plug it into the line level RCA input at the top right of your mixer.
Related resources
October 25, 2011 10:40:16 PM

And are my speakers "Large Magnets" ? Because I can't really position them anywhere else then besides my tower, don't have any other space...
Score
October 25, 2011 10:44:51 PM

Best answer selected by Sebaslegrand.
Score
October 25, 2011 10:59:17 PM

Every speaker is driven by a magnet, the larger the speaker, the larger the magnet.

A speaker works by adjusting the current going to the magnet to attract or repulse another piece of metal in the speaker cone, the faster it moves back in forth, the higher the sound frequency. The minimum that a human can hear is about 20 times back and forth per second. The highest / fastest is about 20,000.

The larger the speaker cone is (especially subwoofer, or 2-way low end cones) the larger the magnet is required to be in order to move back and forth.

So, yes. Your speakers are large magnets. Large and very powerful, no refrigerator magnets in there.
Score
October 25, 2011 11:07:47 PM

Alright... so if both my computer tower and one of the PA cabs on the right of it are so close they touch each other, it's bad for the PC, right? Do you know if they are actually shielded? The Speakers... Thanks for the valuable info
Score
October 26, 2011 12:34:49 AM

Anyone else have resourceful insight?
Score
October 26, 2011 6:14:56 AM

Sorry about the bump, I tagged this thread as SOLVED too quickly, I just need a little more insight and a direct answer to my question, I'm still not sure if even though my speakers are huge magnets, are they shielded and would it be harmful next to my tower for my HDD ??

Thanks guys. I hope I get some feedback tomorrow morning, good night! :) 
Score
October 26, 2011 6:21:55 AM

dont worry bout the magnet their shielded. Do you hav a amp to pull it?
I got a tuba60 myself
Score
October 26, 2011 2:26:18 PM

No, the magnets are *not* shielded.

And even if they were, do you really want to put a large magnet that close to a very magnetically sensitive HD?

One of the best ways to completely wipe a HD before you trash a computer is put it on top of a subwoofer for a few hours...
Score
October 26, 2011 4:09:02 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!