Running dual display on GTX580 makes everything runs really hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

citanest

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
I have been using GTX580 to run dual display. The core temperature is increased by 15-20C after the 2nd displayed is fired up.
The case temperature is increased by 5 degree.
The case is blowing out hot air as opposed to room temperature air.

I am considering to just buy a cheap pci-e card just for the 2nd display so that everything can run cooler.
However, I realize that the 2nd card can potentially generate even more heat.

Can someone recommend me a card that runs really cool?
I don't need to run 3d on the 2nd card.

thanks.

Solution
He was talking about buying a really cheap, like $30 card to run the 2nd monitor.

As far as that goes, it will lower the temps at idle. At load, it won't make much of a difference, other than it already has a head start on getting to it's load temps. The reason it's hot when running 2 monitors, is not because it's doing a lot more work, but because the clocks don't power down as low as when you only have 1 monitor. Once you are in 3d mode, it will be the same.
He was talking about buying a really cheap, like $30 card to run the 2nd monitor.

As far as that goes, it will lower the temps at idle. At load, it won't make much of a difference, other than it already has a head start on getting to it's load temps. The reason it's hot when running 2 monitors, is not because it's doing a lot more work, but because the clocks don't power down as low as when you only have 1 monitor. Once you are in 3d mode, it will be the same.

Solution

citanest

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
Thanks everyone.
I think my goal is find a card that is as cool as possible and as quiet as possible.
Since I will not be running 3d on the 2nd card, the performance is not important.
My resolution will only be 1080p.
Would a passive heatsink be a better option? I think 8400 and GT210 both come in passive (without fan).

Thanks.

citanest

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
Dedicated PhysX is a great idea.
Thanks for bringing that up.

Would I still benefit from a GT 240 based on my configuration.
I5 760 clocked at 4ghz, 8gb ram and GTX580?

Does it make a difference if I go with something slower like GT 220 or something better like GT 450?

My goal still is to minimize heat and noise.
PhysX would just be a nice addition.
I am happy with a single card 580's performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.