Sign in with
Your question

Bigger PSU to leave room for future Xfire setup?

Last response: in Components
October 25, 2011 9:46:47 PM

Hey guys,
I'm building a new system, primarily for gaming, and it'll consist of an OC'd i5-2500K and a 1GB Radeon 6950 (made by Gigabyte, ~200W TDP from what i hear). Here's my problem: do I go with a more expensive 750W PSU instead of a 600-650W one to allow for a crossfire setup (2 1GB 6950's) in the future? Would adding another of the same card in crossfire be the most cost efficient way to upgrade my graphics in 2-3 years anyway?
Basically, is it worth it to pay the extra cash now, and possibly sacrifice efficiency for the time being too, to make crossfire possible in the future with the same PSU? Or would I be better off buying a whole new card then anyway?
Thanks.

-Charlie
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2011 9:50:29 PM

the most cost efficient solution would be to sell your 6950 and get the latest and greatest offering at the time (AMd 8950, etc.,) since you won't be investing in old PC hardware. you also won't need to invest in a more powerful PSU (quality 550w-650w will do) or SLI/CF mobos when upgrading.

that said, if your heart is set on a SLI/CF set-up then investing in a quality 750w PSU is a wise decision.
m
l
October 25, 2011 10:06:07 PM

dirtyferret said:
the most cost efficient solution would be to sell your 6950 and get the latest and greatest offering at the time (AMd 8950, etc.,) since you won't be investing in old PC hardware. you also won't need to invest in a more powerful PSU (quality 550w-650w will do) or SLI/CF mobos when upgrading.

that said, if your heart is set on a SLI/CF set-up then investing in a quality 750w PSU is a wise decision.

Well, my heart definitely isn't set on anything, I just want what will end up being the most cost-effective and giving me the best performance. But 600W is definitely enough for just one 6950, even if I were to overclock a bunch of stuff?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2011 10:10:27 PM

you will be under 400w (probably 350w) during gaming, even if you OC
m
l
!