Question about installing PSU

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hi guys, I recently had to RMA my power supply to ebuyer (In the UK), as it started making odd popping noises when turning it on and it also smelt of burning when it was on (especially noticable when I ran furmark - it made my room stink).

As it still actually worked, I know my parts are fine etc. , but I was wondering what might of caused the problem. Now I have a Gtx 470 (the asus v2 one), a cm storm scout and the psu was an xfx 650w xxx edition. The thing is I can't help but think that it was the fact that the fan is 13.5 cm on the psu and the bottom mount grill for a psu is only 12cm on the scout - therefore obscuring the fan slightly.

So my question is would that have been the cause of the problem, or was I just unlucky and that 1.5cm gap won't really have affected it?

Edit : I am asking this for when ebuyer send me a new psu, so the problem won't occur again if it was the way I installed it that was the problem.

Also note the PSU was mounted with the fan facing down.

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Ok so if I get the same PSU I should be safe mounting it in the same way as before you think? (fan facing downards into the grill).

And you are sure that 1.5cm gap wouldn't of affected it?

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I was thinking about mounting my psu fan side up, but my gpu get's super hot under load and I don't think the PSU sucking in 90 degrees C heat in is going to do it much good. Thanks for your help dude ;)

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
That heat will find its way out somehow, you dont need to concern yourself so much that the air is heated prior to entering the PSU, either you are asking for your GPU to run hotter, or you are asking your PSU to run hotter. That heat didnt likely kill your PSU, your PSU just failed, it is very likely unrelated completely. It doesnt sound like you have anything to worry about, just had a power supply go bad. The likely cause of a PSU failures is the tens if not more power spikes and lags it receives everyday. That is the main culprit.