Storage of discharged Lithium Ion batteries ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 18, 2005 2:51:45 PM

This is a recurrent doubt I always go through.
I alternate the use of a few sets of batteries.
A discharged set, not to be used in the near future, should be stored
charged ? If yes, should I "complete" the charge when the
time for use arrives ?
TIA , Jorge
March 18, 2005 5:16:48 PM

Thanks for the comprehensive and quick replies.
Same for the GREAT site.
In fat I confused. The batteries are NiMH
Jorge
March 18, 2005 5:21:22 PM

Thanks for the comprehensive and quick replies.
Same for the GREAT site.
In fact I made a confusion: The batteries are NiMH.
Jorge
a b G Storage
March 18, 2005 6:33:47 PM

"JF" <bfgr@globo.com> wrote in message
> This is a recurrent doubt I always go through.
> I alternate the use of a few sets of batteries.
> A discharged set, not to be used in the near future, should be stored
> charged ? If yes, should I "complete" the charge when the
> time for use arrives ?

I don't think it makes much difference. The self-discharge rate is such
that it will be dead in a month or two, in any case (depends on
temperature).
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 18, 2005 6:39:06 PM

JF wrote:

> This is a recurrent doubt I always go through.
> I alternate the use of a few sets of batteries.
> A discharged set, not to be used in the near future, should be stored
> charged ? If yes, should I "complete" the charge when the
> time for use arrives ?
> TIA , Jorge

I believe Li-ion are pretty much well behaved and not subject to any
specific cautions.

My camera manual indicates that batteries should be freshly charged
before going out shooting, that's all. So the answere would be 'yes'.

Nothing about discahrge or storage ... or anything eles other than being
very careful not to short the pins, and to have the battery disposed
properly at its end of life .

Cheers,
Alan

a b G Storage
March 18, 2005 7:12:40 PM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:33:47 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Charles
Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote:

>"JF" <bfgr@globo.com> wrote in message
>> This is a recurrent doubt I always go through.
>> I alternate the use of a few sets of batteries.
>> A discharged set, not to be used in the near future, should be stored
>> charged ? If yes, should I "complete" the charge when the
>> time for use arrives ?
>
>I don't think it makes much difference. The self-discharge rate is such
>that it will be dead in a month or two, in any case (depends on
>temperature).

I believe you are thinking of the self discharge rate of NiMh and not
LI-Ion. I've certainly had spare Li-ion batts for my D70 in my case
unused for more than a couple months with no problems when finally
using them.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 18, 2005 11:22:43 PM

I have a Sony DSC-F828 that uses Lithium Ion batteries. Page 147 of the
manual states: "If the battery pack is not to be used for a long time, do
the following procedure once per year to maintain function. 1 Fully charge
the battery. 2 Discharge on your camera. 3 Remove the battery from your
camera and store in a cool dry place." It further states "To use the
battery pack up on your camera, leave the camera to on in slide show
playback mode until the power goes off." I don't know if this helps or not
but it came from the horse's mouth.

"JF" <bfgr@globo.com> wrote in message
> This is a recurrent doubt I always go through.
> I alternate the use of a few sets of batteries.
> A discharged set, not to be used in the near future, should be stored
> charged ? If yes, should I "complete" the charge when the
> time for use arrives ?
> TIA , Jorge

Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 19, 2005 7:15:41 AM

I've personally got a lot of heartburn with Sony over this recommendation.
Seems to me they're trying to sell batteries. My Sony camcorder had the same
recommendation, so I followed it when storing my batteries for about 6
months. It ruined them both, as the camera wouldn't try to charge them after
the storage period.

Having since learned a lot more about lithium batteries, and their charging
circuits, I now store them at between 50 and 60 degrees F, at about a 40
percent charge.

For what it's worth

Jeff
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 19, 2005 10:36:57 AM

Generally Li Ion batteries don't require any maintenance. The only limitation that
Li Ion batteries possess is a shelf life in that their capacity (mA/H) starts to
slowly fall from the moment they are manufactured.

Guidelines for optimising the life of Li Ion batteries
a.. Charge the Li-ion often, except before a long storage. Avoid repeated deep
discharges.
b.. Keep the Li-ion battery cool. Prevent storage in a hot car. Never freeze a
battery.
c.. Avoid purchasing spare Li-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing
date when purchasing. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.

See the site "Batteries in a Portable World" at http://www.buchmann.ca/toc.asp or
specifically http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap10-page6.asp and the chart on the page at
http://www.buchmann.ca/chap2-page2.asp for more.

This site has practically everything you need to know about batteries.

Peter

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> JF wrote:
>
> > This is a recurrent doubt I always go through.
> > I alternate the use of a few sets of batteries.
> > A discharged set, not to be used in the near future, should be stored
> > charged ? If yes, should I "complete" the charge when the
> > time for use arrives ?
> > TIA , Jorge
>
> I believe Li-ion are pretty much well behaved and not subject to any
> specific cautions.
>
> My camera manual indicates that batteries should be freshly charged
> before going out shooting, that's all. So the answere would be 'yes'.
>
> Nothing about discahrge or storage ... or anything eles other than being
> very careful not to short the pins, and to have the battery disposed
> properly at its end of life .
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

> -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 19, 2005 10:36:58 AM

In article <423b4a1a$0$29446$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>, Peter
Resch <peter.reschREMOVE@THISgmail.com> wrote:

> a.. Charge the Li-ion often, except before a long storage. Avoid repeated
> deep discharges.

To amplify a bit: It's best to store the batteries about 1/2 charged,
if possible. Fully charged cells self-discharge more quickly, and
self-discharge is actually harder on them than normal use.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 19, 2005 2:39:08 PM

On 18 Mar 2005 11:51:45 -0800, "JF" <bfgr@globo.com> wrote:

>This is a recurrent doubt I always go through.
>I alternate the use of a few sets of batteries.
>A discharged set, not to be used in the near future, should be stored
>charged ? If yes, should I "complete" the charge when the
>time for use arrives ?

Try this:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo.htm

(Only just started reading it myself, so I won't attempt to summarise in
case I make a pig's ear of it.)

--
Stephen Poley
Anonymous

I have also learned that the Li-Ion batteries are best stored at about 40%
charge.

How can I measure the charge level? The camera (Konica Minolta A200)
battery state indicator is very crude. How can I verify the 40% charge
level, even roughly?

Maurice