Sign in with
Your question

Pleae Help! Bios was reset!

Last response: in Motherboards
July 22, 2012 9:58:25 PM

I was dusting out my PC and the only way to get the dust out of my GPU was to take it out. I pulled it out of it's socket and when I finished put it back in and started my PC. Apparently this reset my Bios because when I started my PC it took me to the Bioa and everything was at default.

Am I just going to have to manually set up my Bios to the way it was before?

My Phenom 2 x4 was OCed from 3.2 to 3.8 so am I going to have to OC it again? And if this was a stable OC before am I going to have to stress test again or can I just use my previous settings?

More about : pleae bios reset

a c 168 V Motherboard
July 22, 2012 10:08:49 PM

yes you will
m
l
July 22, 2012 10:19:54 PM

Why does removing the GPU reset the Bios?

And if my previous settings produced a stable overclock, can I just set them to what they were before and be done? Or do I still have to stress test again?
m
l
Related resources
a c 168 V Motherboard
July 22, 2012 10:24:17 PM

DudE132 said:
Why does removing the GPU reset the Bios?

And if my previous settings produced a stable overclock, can I just set them to what they were before and be done? Or do I still have to stress test again?

Removing the GPU usually doesn't reset the settings. If your computer is over 3 years old the button battery which powers the real time clock and SRAM that stores firmware settings on older PC BIOS motherboards (newer UEFI motherboards store them in non-volatile flash so pulling the battery will just muck up the clock) may be dying.

Some motherboards with buggy firmware may detect a firmware mismatch and force the settings to reset for stability purposes.

Losing system settings is an unfortunate fact of life for overclockers and enthusiasts. I'd rather they be reset occasionally than refuse to reset when something goes wrong. If you're not used to it by now you should be soon :D 
m
l
July 22, 2012 10:42:49 PM

Well I've had this PC for about a year so far.

Do you think it would be safe to set my Bios settings to what they were before they were reset without stress testing the OC?
m
l
a c 168 V Motherboard
July 22, 2012 10:46:58 PM

DudE132 said:
Well I've had this PC for about a year so far.

Do you think it would be safe to set my Bios settings to what they were before they were reset without stress testing the OC?

If you know what they were yes. I'd still recommend doing a brief stress test to make sure you didn't miss something
m
l
a c 168 V Motherboard
July 22, 2012 10:51:26 PM

DudE132 said:
For how long?

20 minutes
m
l
July 22, 2012 10:51:27 PM

For how long?
m