Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with budget gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
July 28, 2011 5:01:54 AM

I am going to be building 2 clone computers using the same parts for both. I have about $500 for each one. I am going to be ordering parts in week or two and i have already gotten HDD and Optical drives. I have been looking around newegg and lots of review sites so i kinda already know what i want but i wanted to ask the community. Here we go:

CPU: Phenom ii x4 955 3.2ghz Black Edition $120

Motherboard: MSI 870-G45 $70

RAM: G.Skill 8gb DDR3 1600 $65

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W $60

Graphics Card: Either a Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 or 6790 i have $120-$150

Case: Rosewill Challenger $50

I am going to be buying all the parts from newegg. I can go a little higher in price if it gives me a performance boost that is worth it (about $50 a computer).

I was just wondering if there were any potential bottlenecks with this system or if im just wasting my money on certain parts or if there are better options. It will be my first build for myself and i don't really want to mess it up. Thanks.

More about : budget gaming rig

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
July 28, 2011 6:53:47 AM

The 650 watt psu is tending towards overkill so you can save some money there and use it on a stronger graphics card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Antec Three Hundred + BP430 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430W Power Supply

and that would let you include a 6850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

That works the PSU a little harder , but it will be fine and it will give you that extra power .
July 28, 2011 9:16:11 AM

Any reason you are going with 8Gb of RAM? I have 8Gb myself and it really doesn't seem like it was worth it really. I haven't seen more than 3.85Gb used. You may be better off just getting 4Gb at the same speed with lower latency if at all possible. But if there is only a 10-20 dollar difference between a 4Gb and 8Gb set it might not matter.
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 28, 2011 5:37:16 PM

The BP-430 is about the only Antec PSU to get only mediocre reviews. For the price, the EA-650 is a good choice; even though it is overkill, it offers future-resistance.
If you're going to build an AMD rig today, get a 900-chipset socket AM3+ mobo, which will accept a Bulldozer CPU as an upgrade, such as this Asus: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Especially if you're sure you may upgrade to Bulldozer later, drop the CPU back to the now-$60 (after promo code; no rebate game necessary) X3 720BE. It should overclock as well as the 955BE, and may unlock to a X4. That's half the cost of the 955BE, and that $60 will pay for the mobo upgrade and a Xigmatek Gaia cooler to overclock it.
You can drop back to 4GB of RAM. Use the money you save there toward a HD6850.

Edit: Oh, and take a look at the Xigmatek Asgard B/B which is $30 shipped, or the Rosewill Blackbone, which is $45 shipped.

July 28, 2011 6:04:57 PM

Im not going to be upgrading to bulldozer anytime soon. I will be using this setup for at least a year. and since im building 2 of the same computers i don't want to buy 2 triple or dual cores and have one of them not unlock to an x4. and the 8gb of ram is for multitasking and to add some future resistance. But i guess an AM3+ board is only about 20 bucks more so might as well. And i moved my budget around and managed to fit an HD6870 in there so that should have enough power. Any other comments? Thanks for the help so far.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 28, 2011 7:21:04 PM

Makes sense, wanting them to be the same. AM3+ is a good decision. Better to have an upgrade path and not need it, than need one and not have it.
You may still want an aftermarket cooler, but can add it later if the stock coolers are too loud or if you want to overclock.
July 28, 2011 9:58:28 PM

Best answer selected by Gallagher1991.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 28, 2011 10:17:00 PM

Mr47 said:
Any reason you are going with 8Gb of RAM? I have 8Gb myself and it really doesn't seem like it was worth it really. I haven't seen more than 3.85Gb used. You may be better off just getting 4Gb at the same speed with lower latency if at all possible. But if there is only a 10-20 dollar difference between a 4Gb and 8Gb set it might not matter.

I find my applications start very fast because windows has preloaded the apps I commonly use into memory.

Spending for an extra 4GB (4 to 8) is a really cheap way to get better app startup times vs. a $200 ssd.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 28, 2011 10:46:30 PM

Thanks. Good luck with your builds.
!