Closed

GT 430 vs. GTS 450 [WHAT is the $60 difference?]

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 22, 2011 8:06:30 AM

I just bought 2 GPU's for 2 diff machines
-GT 430 1GB
and
-GTS 450 1GB

Can anyone tell me the $60 difference???
I can BARELY tell...

I just did a test on my girlfriend comparing 4 games with the GT 430 and GTS 450.
her scores were 2 and 2 and I would have to agree.

keeping in mind video quality & fraps.
I explained lighting, texture pixelated edges etc.
ALL the games were on x2 core machines with 4GB of ram.

This is how she scored:
* GTA 4 - GTS 450
* Mass Effect 2 - GTS 450 (I liked the GT 430 better)
* Crysis 2 - GT 430 (I liked the GTS 450 better)
* NFS Shift Unleashed 2 - GT 430 (by a LANDSLIDE)

GT 430 $40 with rebate
GTS 450 $100 with rebate.

Which one is REALLY better and why???

More about : 430 gts 450 difference

a c 153 U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 8:22:47 AM

Run Heaven or 3DMark 11 with each card.

Or play Metro 2033 with DX11 settings enabled.

Anyway the difference is a LOT, and statistically its 105 percent. Meaning the GTS 450 is over 2 times better than the GT 430.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GT_430...
Score
May 22, 2011 8:37:39 AM

but when it comes down to the 'grit' really what will i be gaining w/ the gts 450 with 8GB RAM + amd Phenom II x4 (visually) for $50 more? a little better lighting? slightly better looking textures?

what?

Score
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 9:23:06 AM

Uhm.. well to me I couldn't "game" at my resolution at the settings I like with either of those cards. Its about preference. I like to have all the eye candy on. I like to be at a high resolution 1920x1200. I like to not have to dumb down my game. I like to do well on benchmarks.

So to me, the difference between those cards is immese and well worth 50 dollars.

It's all about preference.

Also you're watching videos of games not in the resolution they are supposed to be in. None of those videos tell you what resolutions the games are in or what settings they are using, and higher resolutions can demand much more horsepower. E.G. The GT 430 would fail at my resolution, where the GTS 450 would be passable.

Also you're comparing those cards in a game that isn't graphically demanding.

As I said... go play Metro 2033 or Crysis 1 or The Witcher 2 on each card, at the same resolution. You will see the difference.

I see the point you are trying to make. And I'm saying the GT 430 wouldn't even run games how I want it, and the GTS 450 would barely be passable but it would at least be usable. So there is a big difference.

Here is an example.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GT_430...

Even at the lowest resolution, the GTS 450 only get 38 FPS on metro 2033. Now, anything under 25FPS is unplayable in most people's opinions. The GT 430 basically can't even play Metro 2033 at all.

Higher resolution = bigger FOV = better gameplay experience. So, in laymens terms. The differences bettween the cards are being able to even play some games (e.g. Metro 2033), being able to use higher resolutions, being able to turn on more eye-candy.

Score
May 22, 2011 10:09:04 AM

Thanks for your input.

Quote:
I like to have all the eye candy on. I like to not have to dumb down my game.

I understand - it is cooool.

Quote:
I like to be at a high resolution 1920x1200

what is really gained except making the GPU work harder to fill that size screen?

Quote:
I like to do well on benchmarks.

I am not interested in getting in Hot Rod magazine. but it is cooool!

Quote:
So to me, the difference between those cards is immese and well worth 50 dollars.

ok, I will consider you recommendation for more pleasurable gaming.

Quote:
It's all about preference.

this is ALL it's about (and maybe a little budgeting, too).

Quote:
Also you're watching videos of games not in the resolution they are supposed to be in. None of those videos tell you what resolutions the games are in...

I understand this fact. I was trying to cram the card series and a dual core situation into a search and scored enough info like RAM, CPU, and core speeds of CPU and get as close as possible to a basic display. And I am sure those game are being played at max resolution - that's why peeps like to put up their vids... right? sorta benchmarking? ALSO I know these are crappy youtube quality vids.

Quote:
Also you're comparing those cards in a game that isn't graphically demanding.

This I also understand. Demanding games demand more dollars to be spent to even SEE the thing load up on your machine LOL!

Quote:
As I said... go play Metro 2033 or Crysis 1 or The Witcher 2 on each card, at the same resolution. You will see the difference.

I am pretty confident that there is NO substitute for real live experiencing. I am just trying to get something that will do the job, and last me for the next 2-3 years. I am hoping the GTS 450 will do just that.

Quote:
Even at the lowest resolution, the GTS 450 only get 38 FPS on metro 2033.

what card would YOU use to play Metro 2033 and what would be a comfortable FPS to you?

by the way, I see what you're saying... heh, the 450 GTS is nearly exactly double if not exactly double the performance of the 430 GT. And most of the time you can just say ok this card is $50 and it looks pretty good... so I will spend $100 and I will get double performance - look these companies know how to price their product respectively (reputable one's that is) and that's pretty much guaranteed way to get a better ANYTHING. (well, I am having a PSU nightmare breakdown at the moment, but have realized $150-$200 is a reality if you want good reliable power source - LOL I am still coming to terms with this issue. I was going to get the GTX 260 (I believe) but it required a 6/6+2 pin and a minimum of 500w's. we ALL know you should be running a 650w + up in that biotch - JUST TO START!!!

anyway, thanks to Gman450 for those snap reviews also! cooooo...

by the way, the card is the EVGA superclocked version:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PEACE you guys.

p.s. and what's the deal with OpenGL 4.0 vs. 4.1 etc... no I am just kidding. LOL
Score
May 22, 2011 10:14:35 AM

by the way, HellTech, would you like to have the Photoshop Elements 9 comes with the GTS?
I am sure it will be a download link with a serial or something (well it will be legit anyway - no w4r3z) - IF you want, - IF it's downloadable and I can transfer - you are welcome to it.
Score

Best solution

a c 153 U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 11:01:48 AM

Quote:
what is really gained except making the GPU work harder to fill that size screen?

- Well, you gain a bigger FOV. Meaning you can see more on the screen at the same time. Not only is the amount of pixel more (giving you a better image quality), but you can actually see more of the game world. In an FPS this means you can see more things to your sides and above you, than you could with a smaller resolution.

Quote:
This I also understand. Demanding games demand more dollars to be spent to even SEE the thing load up on your machine LOL!

- Lol, exactly. XD

Quote:
I am pretty confident that there is NO substitute for real live experiencing. I am just trying to get something that will do the job, and last me for the next 2-3 years. I am hoping the GTS 450 will do just that.

- Lol the GTS 450 will, but the GT 430 will not. So I guess thats where the difference in price matter to YOU. :) 

Quote:
what card would YOU use to play Metro 2033 and what would be a comfortable FPS to you?

-You mean lowest card possible? Uhm, I think the GTX 460 would be satifactory for lowest of the low.

Quote:
by the way, I see what you're saying... heh, the 450 GTS is nearly exactly double if not exactly double the performance of the 430 GT. And most of the time you can just say ok this card is $50 and it looks pretty good... so I will spend $100 and I will get double performance - look these companies know how to price their product respectively (reputable one's that is)

- Yeah, except for the highest end flagship cards, cards are usually prices according to their performance. You WILL pay a premimum for the best of the best though.

Quote:
by the way, HellTech, would you like to have the Photoshop Elements 9 comes with the GTS?
I am sure it will be a download link with a serial or something (well it will be legit anyway - no w4r3z) - IF you want, - IF it's downloadable and I can transfer - you are welcome to it.

- I actually already have it, thanks though. Maybe you can sell it?
May 22, 2011 11:26:38 AM

Quote:
Well, you gain a bigger FOV.

ahhh. OK. SWEEEET! I likeeeee... wweeEEEEEEE!!!!

Looks like I am a 1024 guy when it comes to M2033 - 38.3 FPS LOL
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Axle/GeForce_GTS_450...

Yeah, the 430 GT is for my mom's new kit. She does a lot of Bryce 7 rendering and I am trying to get her into using Vue xtream 8.5 and other 3D apps like the maya and newtek stuff. do you think it will do the job for her??? I sure hope so, vue 8.5 says 9800 GT will do the job, so I must assume this card will be better. (opinions/suggestions?)

and thanks for the idea to sell that Adobe stuff off - i have cs5 already. what do ya say... $40-50???

coo...
Score
May 22, 2011 11:35:45 AM

I have to agree that the 450 is more than worth it. If not now, future games will make more use of it. The 430 is already low end and won't last nearly as well. What's the point of saving $50 when you'll just have to buy another card in the reasonably near future to keep up? It's cheaper in the long run to get the 450.
Score
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 8:37:20 PM

Majestic One said:
Quote:
Well, you gain a bigger FOV.

ahhh. OK. SWEEEET! I likeeeee... wweeEEEEEEE!!!!

Looks like I am a 1024 guy when it comes to M2033 - 38.3 FPS LOL
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Axle/GeForce_GTS_450...

Yeah, the 430 GT is for my mom's new kit. She does a lot of Bryce 7 rendering and I am trying to get her into using Vue xtream 8.5 and other 3D apps like the maya and newtek stuff. do you think it will do the job for her??? I sure hope so, vue 8.5 says 9800 GT will do the job, so I must assume this card will be better. (opinions/suggestions?)

and thanks for the idea to sell that Adobe stuff off - i have cs5 already. what do ya say... $40-50???

coo...

You're asking if the 9800GT is better than the GT 430?

The 9800GT is quite a bit better than the GT 430.
Score
May 22, 2011 9:35:43 PM

Quote:
The 9800GT is quite a bit better than the GT 430.

Cool-aid... I will send back the GT 430 then if this is the case... any suggestions as to what to tell them besides, "I have decided against this card for this other card?" I will not open the box either then if this is the case. Hopefully exchange NP.

What do you think/know about this 9600 GSO?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I was going to get this for my mom originally.

Do me a fav, HellTech. Head over to Vue:
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_9.5_xstrea...
and see the cards they have listed.
Heck they have Radeon 48xx listed as workable. The MoBo I am getting her HAS Radeon HD 4250 onboard. Whadda ya think??? do I even NEED a GPU for her??? Plus the board has the AMD 880G/AMD SB710 chipset.
**Which one would YOU use to get the job done to run Vue 9.5??**
--

Here's something else I just cannot figure out...

ATI (I love AMD - don't get me wrong - but have always been an nVidia fan) seems to be hailed as the end-all to a gaming GPU - but when I look at benchmarks and stats, the GeForce stuff always seems to pull ahead on the quality and price. for example, the GTS 450 is basically a 5770, but just a hair better in performance, and a small chunk of change less.
Personal thoughts on this?

BTW, I can get a GTS 250 for the same price as a 9800 GT.
Any comments on this?

Thanks HellYEAH, HellTech.
Score
a c 172 U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 3:36:36 AM

a gts250 is faster than a 9800. it will give similar performance to a gts450 minus the dx11 features.
"the GTS 450 is basically a 5770, but just a hair better in performance, and a small chunk of change less." < are you on crack? (thats my personal thought as you asked for it) http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-450-gf1... read some reviews. 5770 beats gts450 90% of the time. the gts450 is more comparable to a 5750.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 3:39:25 AM

^+1
HD 5770 beats the GTS 450, apart from its OC'ed edition. The GTS 450 is more of like a competitor for HD 5750.
Score
May 23, 2011 4:11:56 AM

@ Gman450 ^^^ yeah, I am talking about the OC'd ver. it IS better than the 5770.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 4:16:05 AM

Well, if you are talking about the OC'ed GTS 450, like the ASUS TOP edition for 450, then it does beat the stock HD 5770.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 4:47:09 AM

Yeah, and the ASUS TOP does a similar job as well.
Score
May 23, 2011 5:24:12 AM

yeah OC is OC... and in this case it is a WHOPPING 6Hz (yeah, SIX) - so the 5770 and GTS 450 are cousins.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 5:47:27 AM

Let me put it this way. There is a difference.

My specs.

Athlon x2 5400+ 2.8 ghz(getting older I know, hope to upgrade to a Phenom II quad on this AM2 board)
4gb ddr2
320 gb hd(need to drop my 1 tb in it's place, haven't felt like reinstalling everything yet)
Ultra LSP 650 watt power supply--I know there are better out there, but it works for now.
Finally, my new Galaxy GTS 450 1 gb card.

Run 3dmark 11 and you will see differences. Prime example, my chip is like what 4 year old technology maybe? Anything i7 should be killing my system correct?

I benchmarked it last night with 3dmark 11, I believe my score at first was like P1502

Not a great score. But I compared it to people running the 440 series for example. There were people running i7 rigs with more ram than I had, but using the 440 card, a few of them had lower scores than my system. And this system is an old AM2 rig.

That is the difference. As far as 450 vs 5770, I think stock the performance of the 450 is supposed to run somewhere between a 5750 and 5770. I picked up Far Cry 2 when I got my card the other night at Microcenter.

I game at 1680x1050 which is the native resolution for my monitor.

At that resolution with a gts 450, I can max out every setting at Ultra High, and even use 8x AA. For a 4-5 year old system with a new graphics card, not shabby.

Personally I grabbed a Galaxy card instead of EVGA, I upgraded from a 9600gt that was a Galaxy card and had no problems with it for 2-3 years, sold it to my buddy for 35 bucks to hold him over till he gets the 560 he wants...lol.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

I paid 125 in store, plus tax, but got a 50 dollar mail in rebate, so 75 bucks. But from their website you can download their Xtreme Tuner software which allows you to overclock the card, control fan speeds, even flash it's bios(haven't fully learned how to save a new bios to flash though).

Personally though, I use the software mainly now for keeping the fan speed running higher. Right now my card is idling at a chilly 33 degrees celcius, but I think I bumped it's fan speed up to 50%.

Score
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 6:32:33 AM

Majestic One said:
yeah OC is OC... and in this case it is a WHOPPING 6Hz (yeah, SIX) - so the 5770 and GTS 450 are cousins.

In a way, I guess they are.
Score
May 23, 2011 7:26:45 AM

@ Ohio Grad:
Quote:
450 is supposed to run somewhere between a 5750 and 5770

exactly.

I am glad to hear your good experience with the 450.
I think I will do ok for now with it. I will be able to SLI later on with the rig I have set my mind to.

wanna see?

MoBo:
MSI 870S-G46 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s ATX

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3

Heatsink (replacement to boxed CPU heatsink + adding two more 80 CFM 120mm fans,1 for push pull & the other for case exhaust)
CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler

RAM:
CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (x2 sticks)

PSU:
XFX Core Edition PRO 650W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI/CrossFire Ready 80+ BRONZE Cert Active PFC
(This is a jonnyguru.com 9+ rated PSU)

CASE:
Sentey Black Box Series BX2-4291 Mid Tower w/ HD Audio & Card Reader
7x120mm fans - ships with 4x120mm's (3 blue LED)

PLUS the GPU I have already ordered:
EVGA 01G-P3-1452-TR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) Superclocked 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
(Includes Photoshop Elements 9 - which I will sell on Craigslist Las Vegas for $35 or $40)

I will miss out on 2 of my 3 rebates but will make $20 on the good one.

**There ya have it - Shipped $592.00 (if I can sell the Elements 9 - if not $630.00 shipped)**
Score
June 2, 2011 9:00:28 AM

Best answer selected by Majestic One.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 4:07:39 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!