Laptop fan

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 23, 2005 3:25:26 AM

Hi all

My new Turion64 ML-30 Asus A6K notebook is really nice except for one
thing - the fan is pretty much always on, even when the system is
completely idle. It's starting to get on my nerves.

CPU temp is usually ~43C. The fan comes on ~41C.

I don't understand why the fan should always be on. I thought AMD 64s
were pretty cool chips?

Also, I've heard you can slow down AMD 64s and make them cooler. How do
I do this? There's nothing in the BIOS and the Asus utility Power Gear
doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any ideas?

More about : laptop fan

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2005 3:25:27 AM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:25:26 +0100, JS <user@example.net> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>My new Turion64

ohooo, one of them generics.

>CPU temp is usually ~43C.

43 idle is pretty normal.

>The fan comes on ~41C.

Now that's a little early.

>I don't understand why the fan should always be on. I thought AMD 64s
>were pretty cool chips?

Yeah, AMD makes it cool, but it's up to the system integrator to make
it quiet.

>Also, I've heard you can slow down AMD 64s and make them cooler. How do
>I do this? There's nothing in the BIOS and the Asus utility Power Gear
>doesn't seem to make any difference.

Hopefully somewhere in there, there is a "quiet" setting. Or look for
a "performance" setting and set it for the opposite of that, whatever
that is.

Best of luck.

---------------
If your business is looking for quick free consulting,
please ignore my replies. I only wish to reply to other
engineers/administrators and home users who are stuck
and not interested to give your business free consulting.

Thank you.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2005 11:38:36 PM

"JS" <user@example.net> wrote in message
| Hi all
|
| My new Turion64 ML-30 Asus A6K notebook is really nice except for one
| thing - the fan is pretty much always on, even when the system is
| completely idle. It's starting to get on my nerves.
|
| CPU temp is usually ~43C. The fan comes on ~41C.
|
| I don't understand why the fan should always be on. I thought AMD 64s
| were pretty cool chips?
|
| Also, I've heard you can slow down AMD 64s and make them cooler. How
do
| I do this? There's nothing in the BIOS and the Asus utility Power Gear
| doesn't seem to make any difference.
|
| Any ideas?

Check with Asus for a BIOS update and also see if they have any FAQ info
on their web site.

Asus is an OEM supplier and they make pretty good products but offer
little in the way of support. Their indifferent or arrogant attitude is
to refer support issues to the reseller.

Chas.
!