Computer frequently freeezes for a fraction of a second

plasticman55

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
I am having a problem with my pretty new gaming PC. My PC will frequently freeze for a fraction of a second. While it is frozen the sound with continue to play the tone it is stuck on. This may seem like not a problem but it gets very annoying when gaming and watching videos to having little freezes so often. Sometimes the freezes occur only once every 5-10 minutes but sometimes every 5-10 seconds. This problem is quite worrying to me because my PC is only 2 months old and this problem has been going for 1 month. I know that this is not a problem with software as I have just reinstalled windows and I had the problem right away. Right now I am guessing this is a HDD problem and not a MB problem since I have tried multiple SATA cables and ports for my HDD and the problem has persisted. Does anyone here know exactly what this is and what I could try to fix it?
Thanks.
Specs:
CPU: i5 2500k
RAM: Partriot 8GB 1333mhz
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0
GPU: Evga GTX 560 SC
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB

Solution
I had a very similar problem once that turned out to be a bad PCI lane. Tried many different wireless cards, all had the same issue. Might not be your problem, though. Try disabling your add-in cards and see if that helps.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
I had a very similar problem once that turned out to be a bad PCI lane. Tried many different wireless cards, all had the same issue. Might not be your problem, though. Try disabling your add-in cards and see if that helps.

Solution

plasticman55

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Well I ran the WD diagnostics and it came up with no errors. Ill try moving around my PCI cards. It very well may be a problem with my PCIE wireless card as I noticed that the freezing occurs more frequently when I am lagging during online games.

plasticman55

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
So I took out the wireless card and played for a few hours using internet sharing from my laptop. I didnt have the problem even once, so I guess it was a problem with the PCI slot/card. Very odd. I never thought that that could be the reason. Thanks for the help.