Ethernet switch slow

kevin_805

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Hello,
I called a Tech guy from netgear, because i was concerned my internet connection was being slowed down with all of my devices, connected to my switch. Now, i current have a Netgear Fast Ethernet Switch-16 ports: Model FS516. I have a MAC which says it has a Gigabyte Ethernet 10/100/1000 Base. A future Macbook, which would have the same ethernet connection. A PC with 100/100 base connection. TWO Blu ray disc players 100base. Xbox 360. PS3. And i may have more devices later on.
Anyways, the tech told me that if i have a 10/100/1000 base device connecting to the fast ethernet switch (the mac) for example, that it will slow down the traffic in the connection and slow everything down. he recommended me getting a Gigabyte ethernet switch with autonegotiation. but they are really expensive for me to buy right now.
Can i just stick with my fast ethernet switch for now? will i be okay? if there a setting i can do to maybe change some settings in my mac to only use 100base? or any suggestions? will my one mac slow down the WHOLE network?

The tech guy seems misinformed (or else something was lost between his explanation and your interpretation of that explanation).

If you have a 10/100mbps (aka Fast Ethernet) switch w/ auto-sensing (which describes the Netgear FS516), any connected device has no impact on any other connected device, or on the switch as a whole. Each device connects at the best speed available between itself and the switch. IOW, any 10mbps device will connect @ 10mbps. Any 100mbps device will connect @ 100mbps. And any 1000mbps (Gigabit) device will connect @ 100mbps (obviously it can do better than the switch is capable of). Whenever any two connected devices wish to communicate, they establish a DIRECT CONNECTION and negotiate the best possible speed between them. That connection has NO IMPACT with respect to any other devices and their respective negotiated connections. That’s why a switch is so much more efficient than the old hub technology. It’s a smart device specifically designed to optimize individual connections.

That said, I suppose it’s always possible some obscure manufacturer, in an attempt to save money, has created some crappy switch that doesn’t work as described. But certainly any credible network hardware manufacturer like Netgear is going to do things correctly.

Of course, it’s easy enough to test, just use something like NetCPS, Iperf, NetStress, or similar tool, and measure it for yourself.

schm1tty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
^^^What he said lol

And just like computer parts, switches can go bad. It can be possible that the switch can be getting ready to go out, problems with routers and switches have sent me running around in circles for days and they are not fun to troubleshoot.

Also, did they have you dump the routing and mac table? Try starting from scratch with that, just an extra thought.