Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Which is more RELIABLE, Intel or ASUS mobo around $200?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 23, 2012 5:34:12 AM

Why are so many people on this forum so biased toward ASUS mobos?

I am building a system with i7-3770k and I am neither a gamer, nor a typical over-clocker. But I do want a reliable, let me repeat, a RELIABLE, motherboard to match my i7-3770k. My first post generated many recommendations and most said I should get the ASUS P8Z77-V (either regular, or Pro, or Deluxe). However, on NEWEGG I read so many horror stories about ASUS customer service that I'm really scared to buy an ASUS mobo. What if I end up getting a board with a problem. I would go through the same unpleasant experience.

Yes, I have read expert reviews on ASUS mobos, have seen youtube videos, read stuff on anandtech.com, but at the same time, it seems foolish to completely ignore the problems that many users (people who actually bought the mobo, tried, saw failure, and faced horrible customer service from ASUS) faced when they bought ASUS mobos. At the same time, because so many people buy ASUS, there must be something good as well, otherwise they won't be in business. I am even more confused :( 

I don't care much about bells and whistles on a mobo, as long as I can stick on the CPU, RAM ~ 16GB, and possibly a video card, and an SSD drive. All I want is a motherboard that when I turn it on, it works (all USB ports, SATA ports, and so on).

With Intel being such a reputable company, it is hard for me to believe they make bad cards.
What makes ASUS cards so great? In particular, why is ASUS P8Z77-V Pro better than Intel BOXDZ77GA70K? The price is the same for both.

Best solution

a c 168 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 23, 2012 5:44:25 AM

PC420 said:
Why are so many people on this forum so biased toward ASUS mobos?

I am building a system with i7-3770k and I am neither a gamer, nor a typical over-clocker. But I do want a reliable, let me repeat, a RELIABLE, motherboard to match my i7-3770k. My first post generated many recommendations and most said I should get the ASUS P8Z77-V (either regular, or Pro, or Deluxe). However, on NEWEGG I read so many horror stories about ASUS customer service that I'm really scared to buy an ASUS mobo. What if I end up getting a board with a problem. I would go through the same unpleasant experience.

Yes, I have read expert reviews on ASUS mobos, have seen youtube videos, read stuff on anandtech.com, but at the same time, it seems foolish to completely ignore the problems that many users (people who actually bought the mobo, tried, saw failure, and faced horrible customer service from ASUS) faced when they bought ASUS mobos. At the same time, because so many people buy ASUS, there must be something good as well, otherwise they won't be in business. I am even more confused :( 

I don't care much about bells and whistles on a mobo, as long as I can stick on the CPU, RAM ~ 16GB, and possibly a video card, and an SSD drive. All I want is a motherboard that when I turn it on, it works (all USB ports, SATA ports, and so on).

With Intel being such a reputable company, it is hard for me to believe they make bad cards.
What makes ASUS cards so great? In particular, why is ASUS P8Z77-V Pro better than Intel BOXDZ77GA70K? The price is the same for both.

Don't ever take Newegg reviews for anything more than what they are, a load of bullcrap. Most of the "problems" that people have with stuff on Newegg are user inflicted. These are the same kind of people who would play Russian Roulette with a magazine loading pistol and sue the manufacturer over their subsequent permanent paralysis.

Unlike many other manufacturers, Asus rarely ever uses reference designs or reference components. Most of their boards implement proprietary DSPs and other devices which are far better than those called for by Intel or AMD. This makes them more expensive as a whole but also immensely more usable and reliable. The board layouts are also generally better as well.

Asus was so vehement about associating the Asus name with superior non-reference designs that they actually created a subsidiary to compete with reference design manufacturers. This subsidiary was known as ASRock :) 

Asus has divested from ASRock but they're still a cut above the rest.
July 23, 2012 5:51:32 AM

Thank you Pinhedd for your quick reply, which is quite reassuring. So if I follow the manufacturer's installation guide step by step, I shouldn't face any problems?
Also, based on your last sentence, can I assume ASRock is on par with ASUS quality-wise? Should be exploring some ASRock mobos or stick with ASUS P8Z77-V?

Score
Related resources
a c 168 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 23, 2012 5:57:56 AM

PC420 said:
Thank you Pinhedd for your quick reply, which is quite reassuring. So if I follow the manufacturer's installation guide step by step, I shouldn't face any problems?
Also, based on your last sentence, can I assume ASRock is on par with ASUS quality-wise? Should be exploring some ASRock mobos or stick with ASUS P8Z77-V?

Following the manufacturers instructions is essential to avoiding most problems. Asus is a large manufacturer and as with anything there are bound to be a few lemons that slip past quality control. Disgruntled customers are far more likely to post negative reviews than satisfied customers are to post positive reviews so bare in mind that for every legitimate negative review there are also thousands of satisfied customers who simply haven't bothered to let the world know.

The best place to find information about component quality are actual review sites such as Tom's Hardware, HardOCP, Anandtech, Guru3D, Jonnyguru, Hexus, etc...

The more thorough and indepth a review is, the more accurate it will be.

EDIT: ASRock is no longer controlled by Asus but they do have similar quality standards. They are a manufacturer that target the enthusiast, mainstream and budget markets with products that perform accordingly.
Score
July 23, 2012 6:44:08 AM

Best answer selected by PC420.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 23, 2012 3:37:21 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!