Sign in with
Your question

My first build. Boot loop and no video

Last response: in Systems
July 28, 2011 1:52:39 PM

As explained in the title this is my first build i finished today with putting everything together. When i go to power it on I get no image on the monitor and the fans (case, cpu, psu, gpu) all start spinning and running fine for about 30 seconds then the computer powers off by its self for about 3-5 seconds turns back on and continues running for about another 30 seconds (this continues to happen till i turn it off).
What did I do wrong/ faulty part?

More about : build boot loop video

July 28, 2011 3:15:22 PM

We have a troubleshooting checklist that was created to troubleshoot this exact type of problem. There's a link to the checklist in my signature. Perform every step in the checklist and it will help you find what's causing the problem.
m
l
July 28, 2011 3:21:14 PM

I went through that whole list already and nothing
m
l
Related resources
July 28, 2011 6:58:03 PM

It would help if you could post the complete system specs so we know what we're working with. So the system didn't post even when breadboarded? What beep codes are you getting?
m
l
July 28, 2011 9:14:36 PM

the motherboard is a gygabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 Z68
the cpu is and i5 2500k on standard heat sync
the ram is gskilled 8gb 1600 ram kit
the gpu is a sapphire vapor x radeon hd 6870
the hdd is a hitachi 1.5tb at 7200rpm
and the psu is a antec 750w high current gamer power supply

And isn't breadboarding like the same as a bench build? And I have no idea if I am getting a post beep this is my first build so I dont have one of the motherboard speakers and my motherboard didn't come with one
m
l
July 28, 2011 11:10:58 PM

Yes, breadboarding is testing the system outside the case to eliminate the possibility of a short.

There's a link to a site where you can get a cheap system speaker in the checklist. It's very hard to troubleshoot a problem without being able to hear the beep codes.

So you have both 6-pin PCI-E connectors plugged into the GPU as well as the 24-pin main motherboard power connector and the 8-pin CPU power connector? Have you tried each stick of RAM by itself in every RAM slot?

I really don't have any suggestions that aren't already in the troubleshooting checklist. There are suggestions from many knowledgeable forum members in that checklist. As new issues were identified I added them to the list. I highly recommend picking up a system speaker so you're not taking stabs in the dark.
m
l
July 29, 2011 1:45:50 PM

so I did breadboarding and nothing still. And I tried the removing the ram and adding one at a time. Ok I will pick up a speaker
m
l
May 25, 2012 2:17:52 AM

I have what sounds like the exact same problem which I posted about in this thread. I'm going to get a speaker myself since I wasn't able to figure out the problem either.

Did you solve your issue?
m
l
!