Fast download speed on only one laptop, others slow!

PBuzzle

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Earlier today Comcast came to our house and upgraded our internet from 12 MB/s to 22 mb/s speed. We have a larger house using wifi internet with 3 laptops (2 XP, 1 Win7). Our wifi has always slowed down speeds on the computers. Our laptops were generally getting 3-6 download speed via speedtest.net. Then when we plugged in directly we got full 12 mb/s. So we figured, hey lets upgrade our internet to get faster speeds around the house!

Today we are doing speed tests with the new 22mb/s and only my dad's win-7 laptop is getting 21mb/s via wifi. Even when right next to the router the other 2 laptops only max out at 6mb/s and can not go any higher. When directly connected they get the full 22mb/s.

My question to you guys is why is it that one computer gets full speed via wifi when the 2 XP computers do not? It really seems like the speed has a cap at 6.35mb/s download, never goes higher on the speed test.

Currently using a Linksys WRT160N Router. When I check the DHCP Client Table it shows that all computers are connected via Wireless-G so it's not a connection type. I'm baffled.

Is there a specific setting on the XP computers that are capping speed? Any help would be so very much appreciated!

PBuzzle

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
After doing some research it seems like Windows XP limits the download speed as to slow down any viruses and the such.

Anybody know if this is true? and if so how to take off that limit. It appears that the WIndows 7 PC does not have the limit as it receives full signal.

That's the 10 concurrent TCP connection limit per second that came with SP2.
Get rid of it by following instructions
HERE.

PBuzzle

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
The laptops are g as they are older computers. I came to the same conclusion and purchased Linksys USB N Adapters. The internet now can get up to 13 download from speed test. However the speeds fluctuate like crazy!

PBuzzle

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
I'm looking at the bottom right and my link speed is at 54mbps. This obviously has to be faster to take advantage of the N. So my question is how do I make it so that I can go to 300mbps? I'm assuming it's a setting within the router.

All devices in our house are capable of N other than a printer and a Xbox. Is there a way to increase my link speed to all devices while still allowing N as well as G devices?

ranjay91

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
to go from 54mbps to 300mbps you have to change your frequency from 20mhz to 40mhz if your router is newer it should have the option however the two xp laptops may not support 40mhz do some research to find out if they do. If so than go to Network Connections right click on properties for your wireless card and select advanced. look for the property: window and find 20/40 Coexistence change to enabled. next find 40mhz intolerant and set to disabled. next find bandwidth capability and change to 11b/g:20/40mhz
all done if you have set your router to use 40mhz that is if you have not set your router to use 40 it will not work. don't ask how to do this here noone want to do your leg work make Google your best friend :wahoo:

TRENDING THREADS