Stuck before bios post after Win7 Image restore...I'm perplexed

zman1776

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I am going to be as detailed as possible here, so bear with me...

My mothers computer, was shutting completely off due to thermal issues with the CPU. As it was, the heatsink fins were dust caked and the cpu was fused to the heatsink and so I had to CAREFULLY with a little iso alcohol and heat gun removed the stuck cpu and cleaned off old paste from the heatsink and cpu. Applied new compound, reseated cpu, heasink + fan. Voilia started up no problem, ran a bunch of 720 hd vids from youtube ran nice and cool. So after everything was working for a good while, It was still in need of a fresh image recovery from BEFORE cpu/heatsink cleaning. (not running as smooth as I would like) SO After running the image recovery in windows 7 (which has been done a number of times on this machine) NOW the gateway splash screen before post hangs. Can ONLY access bios if I unplug the HDD. Hard drive STILL working fine plugged in externally on other computers. All partitions recognized and data is accessible.

Here's what I have done so far..

Thought it corrupted boot/bios SO..
Reset CMOS. = nothing

Changed bios setting to skip gateway splash screen to show (if)any errors during post while HDD plugged in and also unplugged= would get through post but then stay black with the HDD plugged in, no nothin.

changed around jumper settings on HDD (master, slave, cable select)= nothing

I usually find my answers to what I need help with but this one's got me buffaloed. It's a little to detailed to find what I need with google obviously. I don't think that cleaning the cpu damaged anything because it all worked fine after I put it all back together, but who knows, maybe? need help with this one.

Thanks, I hope you can help me.

Motherboards or ram can fail at any time, whether you touch anything or not. You need to start unplugging items until you get past the post screen. Start with the hardrive, then try each stick of ram one at a time. I worked at dell a few times, and we never touched anything inside the system without a strap to prevent electrostatic discharge. It's always possible that you damaged something but it didn't fail until later.