Sign in with
Your question

Advice on notebook?

Last response: in Components
October 26, 2011 9:11:05 AM

Hi Guys,

Please help me decide which one?

I am buying a used / new notebook as ive just started Uni this is to get me by until I can afford to buy a Gaming Desktop System early in the new year and then the notebook will still serve my needs as a portable option.

My dad is buying this as a gift so I only have the choice of these 2 below one is brand new never used the other has been used by my sister since new.

The system will be used for the below and nothing more:

Light Downloading Movies / Music
iTunes
Light Office Use (Excel Word)
Emails
Social Networking
Web Browsing – a lot
If I could play a couple of games on MINIMAL settings (WoW Cata & Dawn of War 2) would be a bonus but not “Needed”

Here are the two options

Samsung 300U – Brand New In Box with full warranty (12 months)

Specifications:

Product Description
Samsung Series 3 300U1A-A01 - P 957 1.2 GHz - 11.6" TFT
Dimensions (WxDxH)
27.8 cm x 19.6 cm x 2.8 cm
Weight
1.2 kg
System Type
Notebook
Built-in Devices
Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial, Bluetooth aerial
Processor
Intel Pentium 957 / 1.2 GHz ( Dual-Core )
Cache Memory
2 MB
RAM
4 GB DDR3 SDRAM ( 1 x 4 GB )
Card Reader
4 in 1
Hard Drive
320 GB - Serial ATA-300 - 5400 rpm
Display
11.6" LED backlight TFT 1366 x 768 ( WXGA )
Graphics Controller
Intel HD Graphics 3000 Dynamic Video Memory Technology
Audio Output
Sound card
Networking
Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n, Bluetooth 3.0
Notebook Camera
Integrated - 1.3 Megapixel
Input Device
Keyboard, touchpad
Battery
4-cell
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition
Microsoft Office Preloaded
Includes a pre-loaded image of select Microsoft Office 2010 suites. Purchase an Office 2010 Product Key Card or disc to activate preloaded software on this PC.
Manufacturer Warranty
1 year warranty

Used MacBook Pro (used since new by my sister had a replacement battery in April from Apple store)

Specifications:

MacBook Pro 13inch Late 2009 model
Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM
120 GB Solid State Drive 'OWC Mercury Extreme SSD'
NVIDIA GeForce 94000M 256 MB
13inch Glossy Screen 1280 x 800

I would appreciate any advice and comments as to which would be best suited for my needs?

Thank You

More about : advice notebook

October 26, 2011 10:07:36 AM

Its more a question of if you want a Mac or windows based PC
October 26, 2011 10:10:20 AM

Ive never used a mac before only briefly and was amazed by the quality and speed was fantastic + they look great too

I would prefer the Mac but just wanted to know which system would suit my needs best

Any Idea if the Mac will play WoW on minimal settings?
Related resources
October 26, 2011 10:15:58 AM

Yes the mac should play it fine at low settings maybe even medium.
October 26, 2011 10:18:11 AM

Hi Simon,

Brilliant im going with the mac!

Many Thanks
October 26, 2011 10:24:10 AM

Whats your budget like?

I'm fairly certain that you'd need at the very least a 512mb graphics card to run wow on minimum specs. Since it's you're sisters maybe ask her if you can try wow out on it first before making your decision? If wow runs on it I'd say the mac hands down. A 1.2GHz processor is A LOT slower than a 2.26GHz. Personally I can't stand macs but if you like them it definitely seems like the better of the two internal spec wise.
October 26, 2011 10:28:47 AM

Thats what i thought the Mac only has a 128gb hard drive (solid state) but i already have a 500gb external usb hard drive so no real problem there and the only thing ill have installed is the OS 30 gb iTunes and WoW / Dawn of War if they actually play and once i get my gaming rig in the new year it will only be used for a portable browsing and light use system as a portable option

Why do you hate Macs?
October 26, 2011 10:39:43 AM

My main reason is that with macs you're paying for the brand. You can get the same specs (if not better) in a windows pc for half the cost. You can't right click with a mac, that just erks me. Also I'm a pretty big gamer and macs don't even compare to windows based pc's when it comes to gaming and graphics cards. Long story short macs are great for work or school but they just aren't for me.

It sounds like the mac your sister has will have plenty of room for what you'd need it for. Between the two options you provided the mac seems like the better choice.
October 26, 2011 10:44:09 AM

Understood

My gaming desktop certainly wont be a Mac thats for sure going the core i7 gtx 580 16gb vengeance route :D 

But as a practical browsing and light downloading tool i think i could do far worse than the mac

In your opinion will the Mac out perform the brand new samsung model i listed above for the tasks im hoping it can perform even though the mac is a older model?
Thanks
October 26, 2011 10:59:15 AM

Based on the specs, yes. The mac has a faster processor and dedicated graphics (albeit only 256mb). The only thing that the samsung has that the mac doesn't is a bigger hard drive. Which shouldn't be an issue for light downloads and a couple games. I wouldn't expect to be doing any hardcore raiding in wow with your mac book but for dailies ect. it may be able to get the job done. But lets put it this way, if wow can't run on that mac I highly doubt it would run on that samsung.

Very nice specs for your upcoming desktop. The only thing I'd change is the ram. Anything over 6gb is unnecessary. There's actually a pretty good article on here about it:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-module-upgra...
More specifically the part of the article that compares 3d gaming benchmarks:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-module-upgra...
October 26, 2011 11:02:44 AM

Brilliant thanks for your reply

Hmn your right but ill probably go with 8gb vengeance anyway :D 
October 26, 2011 11:14:55 AM

lol! Not a problem! Gl and enjoy your new laptop!
!