Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 22, 2011 6:16:23 PM

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black 3.4 Ghz
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 460 Hawk Edition
Memory: 4 GB GSKILL Ripjaws DDR3
PSU: Corsair 650W
HD: 640 GB Western Digital Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0

Case is a Coolmaster with 1 front intake, 2 side intake, 1 top exhaust, and 1 rear exhaust.

OK, I have been getting random beeps from either the motherboard or the GPU. They are not your standard triple/quad/etc beeps that denote an issue according to the sequence. These are just 100% random beeps...fast/slow/long pause/short pause...random. They occur typically while gaming in such games as WoW, Civ 5, LoL, and certain benchmarking programs. For example, running the Heaven benchmark, it beeps 5-8 times towards the beginning of the benchmark, but then doesn't beep again throughout the test.

(Temps from HW Monitor)
Idle CPU Temp: 30-35 C
Load CPU Temp: 47-50 C

Idle GPU Temp: 38 C
Load GPU Temp: 53 C

Nothing crashes or acts up. Just this annoying beeping. I have turned off all alarms for the motherboard in the BIOS, so this leads me to believe that it's the GPU, but I can't be sure. Haven't been able to find much literature on this type of issue either. Anyone have some thoughts?

Thanks.

a c 172 U Graphics card
May 22, 2011 6:38:04 PM

Well mouse there you go here is one complaint about the gtx 460.

As you can see there is a small speaker on the card. These typically sound when there is a problem getting power to the card. I had this problem once on a older card that I managed to brick while handling it. As for you I suggest rma (return the card for a replacement) and make sure the psu isn't to blame. For that check the volts.
m
l
May 25, 2011 2:58:18 AM

Yea, I thought it could be a voltage problem. Tried the card with a totally different PSU and still got beeps. Tried it in another PC and still got the beeps. So I am in contact with MSI right now to RMA the card to get a fresh one. Thanks for the help!
m
l
!