Status
Not open for further replies.

basickefatude

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hey Guys,

Firstly i'd like to apologise if this has already been addressed or if im in the wrong thread!
Im hoping you can help me out!

Currently have a ph867-m Mobo, however, audio on it has burnt out, so i am looking to upgrade.
Id like to note that what i am looking for in my rig is:

1) To be fast and Efficient
2) Ideally be a gaming/Media PC
3) Am not looking to overclock anytime soon, though it is certainly an option.
4) USB 3.0 ready

I also understand that if i go a 2011pin Mobo, ill need a new CPU, so any suggestions there would be helpfull as im at a loss as to what i get. Ive researched a fair bit, but i think my brain is now in overload and i cant decide what i want.

Was thinking if i upgrade to a 2011 Mobo, the Sabertooth x79 looks the most appealing to me, and ive heard nothing but good things about it!

Specs:
Power Supply: TX850w Corsair Psu
GPU: SLI gtx 2gb PaLIt 560's
CPU: Intel i7-2600
Ram: Transcend 4gb x 4 DDR3 1333Mhz
O/s: Win 7 Home Premium
Storage: Samsung 3.5 HDD 2TB & 240gig SSD OCZ Agility 3 (win installed on ssd)
Case: Corsair Graphite CC600TM Black

At this point im thinking
2011pin - Sabertooth x79 + i7-3930K
1155pin - ?? + 2600k.

Any suggestions would help me greatly
Thank you in advance!

Solution
Google RMA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_merchandise_authorization

RMA to ASUS! The only reasons to deny an RMA: 1. User damage (including bent CPU pins), 2. Out of area purchase (purchased in Country A but applying RMA to Country B).

The i7-3930K alone is $500~$600 and the ASUS Sabertooth X79 costs $300~$350 so just for the CPU and MOBO you're looking at ~$900 then you'll need a ~$100 4x4GB kit of RAM.

PC's 101 - there's no such a thing as 'future proof'.

I see no real reason to get anything more than what you've got now. IF you want a new MOBO then I'd consider the ASUS P8Z77-V LK with a non-K CPU and keep in mind the only 'loss' is PCIe 3.0 support and native USB 3.0 support; USB 3.0 is supported through drivers once the...
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Clearly, the cheapest solution is to RMA your old 'ph867-m' (assuming you meant ASUS P8H67-M LE).

The SB-E/LGA 2011 is a hefty investment, I run an ASUS Sabertooth X79 + i7-3930K', so unless your needs are very demanding and time is precious the SB/IB LGA 1155 is a solid choice.

The SB-E/LGA 2011 solution is not a typical 'gaming/Media PC' solution, the i7-3930K really stands out with extensive Video & Rendering processing. Further, my idle wattage is ~200W+ and under load 500W~600W under full stock load and more once OC'ed.

The newer Z77/IB (Ivy Bridge) is USB 3.0 native.

Q - What's the budget?
Q - Any other use?

basickefatude

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Thanks Jaquith!

RMA? haha sorry not good with the abbreviations, however! If you mean to fix it or send it in for repair, did that, wouldnt replace or fix. So, left with buying new toys :)

my budget doesnt really phase me, mayeb between $400-650? for both!
I think i read the 2011 are better used for people who use programs like photoshop etc, though, im concerned the 1155 wont be future proof as the new products come out for the 2011 mobos.

General uses are gaming, streaming, downloads and i generally love to have afew programs running at the same time but the i7-2600 (non K) handles that perfectly fine i reckon.

Google RMA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_merchandise_authorization

RMA to ASUS! The only reasons to deny an RMA: 1. User damage (including bent CPU pins), 2. Out of area purchase (purchased in Country A but applying RMA to Country B).

The i7-3930K alone is $500~$600 and the ASUS Sabertooth X79 costs $300~$350 so just for the CPU and MOBO you're looking at ~$900 then you'll need a ~$100 4x4GB kit of RAM.

PC's 101 - there's no such a thing as 'future proof'.

I see no real reason to get anything more than what you've got now. IF you want a new MOBO then I'd consider the ASUS P8Z77-V LK with a non-K CPU and keep in mind the only 'loss' is PCIe 3.0 support and native USB 3.0 support; USB 3.0 is supported through drivers once the OS is loaded and PCIe 3.0 offers no advantages.

Regarding the ASUS Maximus V Gene, I'm not a fanboy of mATX MOBO's unless that's what you need. There's too much power limitations, but that applies to OC'ing and a K SB/IB CPU. So with your non-K the ASUS P8Z77-V LK is the best choice otherwise with a K CPU the ASUS Sabertooth Z77, P8Z77-V PRO or P8Z77-V, and for the bang fo the buck PLX Z77's the ASUS P8Z77 WS or EVGA Z77 FTW have my vote but both require an IB (Ivy Bridge) CPU for 4-WAY SLI support.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.