Sign in with
Your question

Newbuild: Help! PSU starts, stops then stays on for good. Normal?

Last response: in Systems
July 28, 2011 4:11:09 PM

I am just starting assembly of my first build and decided to breadboard so that I could check each component before putting it all in the case.

I installed the CPU and HSF on to the mobo (used AS5 paste), connected PSU 24pin and 8 pin cables and installed a push button power on device that is connected to the pins on the system panel to turn on the system.

Prior to pushing the on button at the system panel, but after turning on the power supply, the green standby power button on the mobo lit up.

After pushing the on button, the PSU fan and HS Fan started to spin momentarily, then stopped for about 3 seconds, then started turning again full force. Following that, I heard the expected BIOS long beep followed by two short beeps (then repeated) to indicate no memory had been installed.

My question: Is it normal for the PSU to start, stop and then start again? If not, what is defective? PSU, mobo and/or HSF?

My build at this point:
Intel core i5-2500K
Asus P8P67 mobo
Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus
Corsair HX650w

Thanks for any input.

July 28, 2011 4:49:31 PM

I don't think it's abnormal. I want to say that my pc will turn on, idle down, and then kick back up, once everything gets going.
m
l
July 28, 2011 5:14:21 PM

I think it is more the mobo actually. I have the z68 version of your mobo and it does the exact same thing, so no worries. As for the beeping, double check you RAM.
Edit: Not to mention my PSU does that when I plug it in for the first time after being unplugged for a few hours.
m
l
July 28, 2011 6:52:59 PM

Thanks for both of your replies. I haven't installed the ram yet, so was expecting the beeping that I got. I just didnt want to put this thing together only to find out the start/stop/start was the sign of a defective PSU or mobo.

Anyone else with a my PSU and/or mobo having the same issue?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 28, 2011 7:01:58 PM

this is mobo related (called double boot or double post), and while quite common in p67 boards (especially asus), it is not normal operation. it is not necessarily a sign of a defective mobo, and it can generally be fixed with settings:

http://blog.tabinda.net/microhard/p67-dualdouble-triple...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 28, 2011 7:06:54 PM

This used to happen with my EVGA FTW3 X58 motherboard (used for about a year), and never had any issues. It only happened when the PC was unplugged from the wall for more than a few minutes (i.e. absolutely no power in the system).
m
l
July 28, 2011 8:19:57 PM

thanks for this additional input. I have pushed on with the assembly and once I added the RAM, I no longer had the start/stop/start issue. So could be as mentioned that this happens only with very cold PSU starts (long duration betwn power on/off), or it could have just been a fluke of early assembly.

I will let you know if it shows up again once I have the PC fully assembled and loaded.

Thanks to everyone.
m
l
July 28, 2011 9:43:15 PM

My system also do this, CPU fans starts, then stops and then starts. I think its before executing POST from BIOS.

My system is: Phenom II 1090T, GA-990FXA-UD3, G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, Thermaltake XT 775W, Asus Radeon HD 6970
m
l
January 10, 2012 5:39:16 AM

@OP Read this official ASUS response as well apart from the post on my blog. People were hoping ASUS would fix it but it seems they didn't. They have always turned a deaf ear to my solutions.
m
l
!