No internet

wayneposnick

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hello, I am new to win 7 but very versed in XP and older. My new win 7 DT connects to my LAN and I can see the other devices. It will not route out to the Internet. IP, GW and DNS are all correct. This is a new OEM win 7 system. All other machines can see the Internet. What stupid thing am I not doing correctly?

all you need to do in win7 is make sure that it is set up as DHCP (which it is by default), or if you have a specialized network to enter in your settings like you do in win2K/XP/ME/98/95/Vista. They really havent changed much over the years as far as the user interface is concerned.
It is much more likely (especially as you can see the internal network), that there is a setting in your router/gateway that is preventing you from getting to the internet. Make sure too that you have not acidently assigned the same IP address to 2 devices as that can do odd things like what you are describing.

wayneposnick

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Yes, it is set as DHCP and it is getting a valid address from my firewall/router. Everything looks normal when I do a ipconfig /all. I am baffled. I have tried a /release and /renew as well. I can see everything fine on the LAN but it acts like it is ignoring the DNS or something. DNS is also correct on this machine...same as all the other XP Pro machines. BTW, this is Win 7 Pro.

wayneposnick

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Okay, Please see below....

I can ping the GW (.254) but cannot get out to do NSLOOKUP on google.com. 209.98.98.98 is one of my DNS entries.

My LAN is pretty simple. Have about 15 devices, Win xp, printers, win CE, network appliances (audio, etc), WiFi access points, NAS and my GW/DHCP server is a Watchguard FW appliance. In front of the Watchguard is a Proxicast 3g/4g router.
I do not know what slhpss is however.

Please see below.....

Pinging 192.168.201.254 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.201.254: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.201.254:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\Tad>nslookup www.google.com
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown
Address: 209.98.98.98

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

This machine had no issues on my fathers LAN getting out to the internets just a few days ago. It was OEM built on his network, patched and then packed up and put on my network. No changes in between.

Thank you!!

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
there's your problem.. your DNS is jacked... I don't know what the providers give you but there are two free alternative options I'm aware of... Google and OpenDNS

Google DNS servers:

OpenDNS Servers:

wayneposnick

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hi,

All other devices use the same DNS entries provided by the DHCP server and work fine. I tried using one of the google dns as primary and the opendns as secondary in the win7 machine (manual entry) and still no ability to ping out. Can the built in Windows FW or MS security essentials be screwing with anything?

Thank you

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
the firewall could be... but I would think it's more likely due to the hardware firewall appliance.., you said the IP is pulled by DHCP right? do you have any sort of mac filtering or machine based blocking going on on that device? Are you sure you're getting a unique IP? do you have enough IPs... (guessing that's a yes since you have the gateway at 254 I'm assuming a 255.255.255.0 network mask...) is it wireless? do you have mac filtering turned on?

Definitely a network issue if the computer worked fine on another network. Perhaps try boot cycling your network gear? Then try hooking the new PC in one device at a time.
Direct Internet
Behind the Firewall
Behind the GW
Behind the switch (if you have one)

Doing this will let you know where the issue is.

You are not on a Domain are you?

wayneposnick

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Okay, so I fried my watchguard whilst performing a firmware upgrade and WG is shipping me a new unit. In the meantime I am using the DHCP from the Proxicast router, Win7 machine picks up the proper creds but still cannot get outside the network. All the other XP machines pick up the new IP info fine and can get out. I'm thinking the NIC/config is kacked. Can I remove the NIC adapter in Device Manager and let windows rebuild like in XP and all previous OS's? Otherwise I may just rebuild the machine from scratch...I need the practice anyway.

Thank you

wayneposnick

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
This is getting weird....new Firewall and configured. the new win7 machine still did not see outside network....until a couple days later. I did not change anything and then just one day it started working. Worked for about a week and died again. Nothing has changed on the firewall/router config or the Win 7 machine. I am starting to think this machine is pooched. I updated all board and NIC drivers and no change. I adjusted some of the NIC settings in ADVANCED but no change. May be time to get a new Main Board. I am bring the machine to my Dad's house and put it on his network just to see what happens.

Any other ideas?

Thank you