Sign in with
Your question

Nroblem, need help

Last response: in Motherboards
July 23, 2012 2:34:59 PM

1st problem solved, now on to a new one. When I try booting it doesn't recognize my Kingston SSDnow this is the exact message it says:

First it says:

Remove disks or other media.
Press any key to restart (I have a flash drive plugged in)

I unplug the flash drive and then it says:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or insert Boost Media in selected Boot Device and press a key

I already have Windows 7 installed on the SSD, my 1tbHDD is completely empty with NOTHING on it at all, it's brand new.

I would like to get this computer running today!

More about : nroblem

July 23, 2012 2:57:26 PM

It's likely that your install got messed up with the multiple drives being connected, as windows7 does some weird stuff when you have multiple drives present at install time.

I would recommend unplugging the 1TB drive (and any thumbdrives) and doing a clean install of Windows, have only the SSD and optical drive. Once it is booting properly, hook up the large HDD again.

edited for grammar :) 
m
l
July 23, 2012 3:15:22 PM

djscribbles said:
It's likely that your install got messed up with the multiple drives being connected, as windows7 does some weird stuff when you have multiple drives present at install time.

I would recommend unplugging the 1TB drive (and any thumbdrives) and doing a clean install of Windows, have only the SSD and optical drive. Once it is booting properly, hook up the large HDD again.

edited for grammar :) 

I don't have a CD burner for this computer. I used my other computer to install Windows 7 on it. I took the CD burner from another computer but I don't see any connectors on this motherboard (Sabertooth Z77) to plug it in at.
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2012 3:30:30 PM

prochargedls2 said:
I don't have a CD burner for this computer. I used my other computer to install Windows 7 on it. I took the CD burner from another computer but I don't see any connectors on this motherboard (Sabertooth Z77) to plug it in at.

You what now...?

Do you mean to say that you put the ssd into another computer, then installed windows on the ssd using that computer, and then moved the ssd to your new computer?

For starters, I would be shocked if that worked to begin with. I would suggest dropping 20$ on one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and being done with it.

However, I'm going to guess that your problem is the same as I said above, if the HDD in the other computer was connected while you did the Windows install to the SSD, it's likely that the bootmgr didn't get written to the ssd.

m
l
July 23, 2012 3:41:21 PM

yeah i'm not sure whats going on here, but if you tried to take shortcut by putting the SSD in another PC to do the initial windows install, then you should be smart enough to assume thats the problem.

what you need to do is download the free windows USB drive boot tool and then make an ISO of the windows disk and use the tool to make a bootable flash drive.
m
l
July 23, 2012 4:18:53 PM

cirdecus said:
what you need to do is download the free windows USB drive boot tool and then make an ISO of the windows disk and use the tool to make a bootable flash drive.

+1 to that. Rather than buying a DVD drive, you could go this route for free.
m
l
July 23, 2012 7:32:27 PM

cirdecus said:
yeah i'm not sure whats going on here, but if you tried to take shortcut by putting the SSD in another PC to do the initial windows install, then you should be smart enough to assume thats the problem.

Well I do apologize for not thinking about that. I just got back from Florida, my sister broke up with her fiance so I'm very tired from dealing with that, I guess I shouldn't have put this together at that time lol.

m
l
!