Sign in with
Your question

P8Z77-V PRO Bent CPU Pins

Last response: in Motherboards
July 23, 2012 3:24:57 PM

This motherboard initially did not recognise all of the installed memory. I bought a replacement before I sent the original motherboard back. The replacement works well.

The supplier has refused a refund on the original motherboard as there are 5 bent CPU pins. 2 of these are together on the top right of the socket. The other 3 pins are not next to each other - 2 are on the bottom right and one is on the top left of the socket.

My questions are:

1) Is it possible to damage the socket in 4 different places merely by following the processor's installation instructions?

2) The original motherboard passed the CPU test before failing the memory test. Is this possible if there are bent pins?
July 23, 2012 4:24:09 PM

actually the processor socket pins could have been bent when you removed the CPU from the socket last time *

i destroyed my P8Z77-V DELUXE a week ago by accidently bending the dam pins !!

and you can repair it by asking the asus people to send it to china / the repair charges are low , while the actual DHL sending charges are 50% cost of the motherboard itself ...

and to be more proper to your question ,

yes it is possible to bend the pins accidentally without even noticing it,

but atleast make sure you did it and not anyone else that way you can blame the one who did it**
a c 175 Ĉ ASUS
a c 533 à CPUs
a c 662 V Motherboard
July 23, 2012 4:40:01 PM

1) Is it possible to damage the socket in 4 different places merely by following the processor's installation instructions? Yes without a clue you even did it till later

2)The original motherboard passed the CPU test before failing the memory test. Is this possible if there are bent pins? Usually not.
Related resources
July 23, 2012 4:52:22 PM

more likely you did not installl RAM properly , or BAD ram sticks or finally some problem with DIMM in mobo ...

and when you did the check things were fine and when you removed your cpu , you bent the pins . simple ..

good luck ., be reminded that you can repair bent pins your self!! if it snot too serious ., its just that it is dangerous to do it , as there is high possiblity of bending more pins
July 23, 2012 4:53:24 PM

more likely you did not installl RAM properly , or BAD ram sticks or finally some problem with DIMM in mobo ...

and when you did the check things were fine and when you removed your cpu , you bent the pins . simple ..

good luck ., be reminded that you can repair bent pins your self!! if it snot too serious ., its just that it is dangerous to do it , as there is high possiblity of bending more pins
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 715 V Motherboard
July 23, 2012 5:18:25 PM

david8302 said:
My questions are:

1) Is it possible to damage the socket in 4 different places merely by following the processor's installation instructions?

2) The original motherboard passed the CPU test before failing the memory test. Is this possible if there are bent pins?

My answers are:

1. No. However, I doubt you did.

2. No. You probably bent them installing the CPU.

My advice, purchase a good set of Jeweler's tweezers and a nice magnifying glass then have the person with the steadiest hands 'try' to carefully bend them back. I have successfully unbent CPU pins that others' bent in the past so I know it can be done.
!