Latest trinity leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Percentage increase is not everything.

The integrate graphics core in Ivy Bridge is expected to be up 60% better than the Intel HD 3000 graphics core according to Anandtech. That's huge!!! Or at least it sounds huge. The Intel HD 3000 is marginally better than a desktop Radeon HD 5450 so a 60% increase in performance puts the upcoming graphics core between the desktop Radeon HD 5550 and HD 5570; closer to the HD 5570 though.

I think the integrated Radeon HD 6550D graphics core is roughly equal to the desktop Radeon HD 5570. It would be nice if there would be some type of benchmark comparisons to desktop video cards. A 30% increase will mean it is faster than the Radeon HD 5570, but nowhere near the performance of the Radeon HD 6570.

Definitely faster than Intel's upcoming integrated solution. Trinity is definitely the CPU of choice for people who wants an inexpensive laptop solution to play games. Like Llano, Trinity should be an excellent choice in a HTPC for pure video playback and some minor gaming capabilities, and it should be competent enough for video encoding. However for encoding, Intel's CPUs would be the preferred choice.

We just have to wait and see how the CPU core in Trinity turns out.

The integrate graphics core in Ivy Bridge is expected to be up 60% better than the Intel HD 3000 graphics core according to Anandtech. That's huge!!! Or at least it sounds huge.

lol that does sound huge. i read the ivy bridge leaks and intel's idf stuff a few times but i never thought of it that way.
i guess it was somewhat natural to expect from amd to build a better apu or a cpu with a reasonably powerful igp. iirc anandtech stated how difficult it was to get an athlon class cpu, shrink it down to 32 nm, and take ati's gpu, shrink it and put two together in a way that both work, manufacture it on a different fab. i think amd has a better chance this time, since 6xxx+ gpus are amd's(i guess ati guys design them and tsmc manufactures the chips).
intel did great with quick sync - which delivered good balance between quality and speed. it'll be interesting to see how amd's vce tech does. by the time vce comes out it might have to compete against intel's 2nd generation quick sync.
i keep thinking how amd will fit bd modules with that many transistors, 7xxx class gpu together. the husky core seemed more doable - phenom class cpu with a 6xxx igp.
We just have to wait and see how the CPU core in Trinity turns out.
+1

damn, i forgot about that. was too excited after seeing some info on trinity.
llano had a 100 w tdp. it used around 70 w average. oc'ed it would use more. problem is, llano has athlon cores, trinity will have enhanced bd cores. all the fx cpus released so far are 95-125 w tdp cpus that use too much power for a 32 nm cpu. i read wikipedia's amd fusion page, it doesn't show what trinity's tdp is. amd's expected tdp for brazos-t and deccan platform are 4 and 9-20 w respectively.
intel is designing mobile ivy bridge with configurable tdps among other things, some of the desktop cpus will have that feature. iirc they already announced ivb will have 77 w tdp. that's 18 w lower than most of the flagship cpus' 95 w.
bd's power consumption really worried me. i keep hearing about multithreading and os optimizations and stuff but they seem like amd's grasping for straws. amd did design brazos platform that has a capable igp with very low power consumption and they got bulldozer.

Status
Not open for further replies.