Memory undervoltage?

kickmyjiminy

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
So I upgraded my CPU and started having problems with system stability. Here's what I'm running:

i5 760 (previously g6950)
H55m- e33 msi motherboard (lga 1156)
XFX hd 6670
4gb dual channel patriot memory (4 x 1gb modules, bought in pairs and paired by mobo slots)
500 gig WD blue hard drive
Windows 7 pro (64 bit)

I'm not an overclocker. Originally, I would get occasional lockups with the previous processor, nothing serious. After I upgraded to the 760, my system would hang, mostly during higher loads, and especially if I ran Prime 95 blended torture test and BF3. The other two test's would run fine, without a hitch. So I started to dig into this more. So I ran memtest86 and it's knockoff cousin memtest86+, both would lockup and not complete. So then I removed two of the modules, ran memtest's again. The tests completed withouth a hitch. I figured the other set was bad, so just to make sure I swapped them out, tested the other pair seperately, and they checkout fine too. What the hell? So I did the same test with Prime 95, both sets do fine seperately, so I put all of them back in again, and the computer locks up on blended again. I figure, memory is screwed, I'll have to get some new and better memory on Monday. After reading some forum posts, I decide to try my luck at overvolting the memory, as that seems to sometimes clear things up. I pushed it to 1.75 and 1.8, and windows only makes it a couple of minutes before crashing. Then I noticed that the board defaults the voltage to 1.6, when the memory I have is standard at 1.5. So I put it at 1.5, Prime 95 freezes the system again, memtest's still fail. Then I figure, screw it, I'll just knock the voltage down, so I set it to 1.35. Now everything is peachy. Prime 95 doesn't hang the system. I didn't try the memtests again, but BF3, which was hanging constantly, no longer was freezing the system either.

What's the deal?

kickmyjiminy

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Appears that even though MSI has a live update program, it doesn't do a very good job at updating drivers. I went to their website and manually downloaded all of the drivers for my motherboard, and then manually updated each component through the hardware manager in Windows. After doing that (and a bunch of things hadn't been updated that the live update said it had) I reran some of my previous tests with the memory voltage at 1.5, and everything worked flawlessly. I also reran windows experience index, and the memory index whent from 5.9 to 7.4, just from updating drivers for the pocessor!

TRENDING THREADS