Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

650W enough? or step up to ___W?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 26, 2011 2:26:04 PM

Hello all,

Self explanatory, I just wanted to make sure my psu would be adequate for my new build.

Intel i5 Sandy Bridge 2500k processor (possibly overclocking)
Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard
8G (4x2G) Crucial DDR3 1600 memory
500G 7200rpm Western Digital Caviar Black Sata III hard drive
EVGA GTX 560Ti 1G video card (probably overclocking)
a crapton of case fans + coolers for vid card and cpu
all inside an Antec 1200 full tower case

currently have a 650W Antec psu, considering stepping up to something bigger if needed though. Thoughts?

More about : 650w step

Best solution

a c 275 ) Power supply
October 26, 2011 2:27:49 PM

No i don't see a need for a more powerful psu.
Your not even pulling 300W full system power.
Share
a c 77 ) Power supply
October 26, 2011 2:30:16 PM

davcon said:
No i don't see a need for a more powerful psu.
Your not even pulling 300W full system power.


+1, you can add even more power hungry video cards and be still be fine
Score
0
Related resources
October 26, 2011 2:43:04 PM

really? that surprises me. my current system was a bit too much for my old 550W psu (2x 8800gt, amd 6000+ x2, asus m2n-sli deluxe, 4G of the cheap kingston ram, WD caviar blue 150G hd)

I expected to need a good chunk more juice based on that
Score
0
October 26, 2011 3:13:01 PM

FYI: According to AMD you can put SLI 6870's on a 600W PSU (I'm probably going to end up trying it myself 2-3 years from now)

The overclocked i5 will draw ~120W max load. The GPU will draw ~150W max load. Throw in everything else and you are around 300W max load.

EDIT: The 8800gt draws 100W max load, so SLI would be 200W. The older 6000+ had a 125W power draw. It should have ran on a 550W PSU, but it could have been bad, a cheap brand, aged poorly, or any number of factors.
Score
0
a c 243 ) Power supply
October 26, 2011 3:18:31 PM

execut1ve said:
really? that surprises me. my current system was a bit too much for my old 550W psu (2x 8800gt, amd 6000+ x2, asus m2n-sli deluxe, 4G of the cheap kingston ram, WD caviar blue 150G hd)

I expected to need a good chunk more juice based on that

PSU might not have been up to the task but 550w is more than sufficient for those specs.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2011 3:41:25 PM

Yes, your PSU is a decent brand and that wattage is well enough.
Score
0
October 26, 2011 4:29:05 PM

Best answer selected by execut1ve.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2011 5:12:39 PM

nordlead said:
FYI: According to AMD you can put SLI 6870's on a 600W PSU (I'm probably going to end up trying it myself 2-3 years from now)

The overclocked i5 will draw ~120W max load. The GPU will draw ~150W max load. Throw in everything else and you are around 300W max load.

EDIT: The 8800gt draws 100W max load, so SLI would be 200W. The older 6000+ had a 125W power draw. It should have ran on a 550W PSU, but it could have been bad, a cheap brand, aged poorly, or any number of factors.


Incorrect, it's more like 112w.
Score
0