Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

New Graphic Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 23, 2011 1:52:02 AM

Hello,
I am trying to decide on a new grphic card. One recomended by the manufacturer (Dell) is the VisionTEK
Radeon HD4650 PCIe 1GB HDMI SFF-Short + Tall
brackets. Another one I am considering is the Evga GeForce® GT 430 1 GB DDR3 PCIe 2.0 Graphics.
Any advice or comments on either card,or are there alterrnates I should consider? Thanks?

More about : graphic card

a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 3:21:41 AM

What are your system specs? PSU, CPU, RAM, etc. What res? We will need to know this before we recommend one.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 3:25:48 AM

^+1
We need some basic facts before we can proceed with helping you

What resoultion is your monitor?

Is this going to be a gaming card?What games do you play?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2011 3:33:08 AM

List your full PC specs so that we can decide which GPU is better for you.
May 23, 2011 11:31:07 PM

Brian_970 said:
Hello,
I am trying to decide on a new grphic card. One recomended by the manufacturer (Dell) is the VisionTEK
Radeon HD4650 PCIe 1GB HDMI SFF-Short + Tall
brackets. Another one I am considering is the Evga GeForce® GT 430 1 GB DDR3 PCIe 2.0 Graphics.
Any advice or comments on either card,or are there alterrnates I should consider? Thanks?



Dell Dimension E510,year:2007
Windows 7 Home Premium

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
Speed 2.99 Ghz
Cache size 4096 Kb

System type 32-bit Operating System
3072 Mb Memory (3X1GB),4MB is the maximum allowed(4-slots)
Video Adaptors: Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) 32Mb

Display Dell 1907FP(Digital)
Resolution: 1280x1024(recommended)

305 Watt Power supply
May 23, 2011 11:55:03 PM

HostileDonut said:
What are your system specs? PSU, CPU, RAM, etc. What res? We will need to know this before we recommend one.


I posted the information
May 23, 2011 11:56:31 PM

purple stank said:
^+1
We need some basic facts before we can proceed with helping you

What resoultion is your monitor?

Is this going to be a gaming card?What games do you play?


I posted the information.It is not for a gaming card, just trying to improve computer preformance a little

Best solution

a c 214 U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 1:03:59 AM
Share

Well since you have a Dell PSU you won't have to upgrade that to use a lower end card.I would reccomend getting the 5670.It use's the same amount of power as the GT430 but it's 3 times faster.

MSI 5670 $95=$85 after MIR + $5 Shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I totally forgot to ask you what your budget is for this upgrade.I'm not even sure if the 5670 is in your budget or not.
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 1:48:09 AM

Another vote for the hd5670.
May 24, 2011 1:50:41 AM

purple stank said:
Well since you have a Dell PSU you won't have to upgrade that to use a lower end card.I would reccomend getting the 5670.It use's the same amount of power as the GT430 but it's 3 times faster.

MSI 5670 $95=$85 after MIR + $5 Shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I totally forgot to ask you what your budget is for this upgrade.I'm not even sure if the 5670 is in your budget or not.


The high end was around $140. and the Evga was around $60.Your card was within that range.

On a second conversation with Dell, tech support said "Best cards that work with this system(Dell E510) are NVidia, GeForce 6800 PCI-E x16, 256MB," & "ATI Radeon X300 SE, 128MB, With DVI-VGA-TV Outs, PCI-E, MRMGA8" and when I asked about a 1GB card they said"1 GB would need more power and the system would need an upgraded power supply."I searched for the cards they mentioned, but was unable to find them.
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 1:53:01 AM

Brian_970 said:
The high end was around $140. and the Evga was around $60.Your card was within that range.

On a second conversation with Dell, tech support said "Best cards that work with this system(Dell E510) are NVidia, GeForce 6800 PCI-E x16, 256MB," & "ATI Radeon X300 SE, 128MB, With DVI-VGA-TV Outs, PCI-E, MRMGA8" and when I asked about a 1GB card they said"1 GB would need more power and the system would need an upgraded power supply."I searched for the cards they mentioned, but was unable to find them.

Screw Dell, they don't know what they are talking about. You are fine with a 1gb hd5670.
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 2:27:52 AM

Brian_970 said:
Thanks

No problem! ;) 
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 2:29:12 AM

By the way, normally trust dell, they are just wrong there.
a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 3:24:38 AM

Agree with Hostile, Dell can't be trusted much. I guy, whom I know of, had a problem ( very minor problem ) and DELL asked for a 80$ for it to be fixed.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 24, 2011 1:36:02 PM

You couldn't find the cards they sugested because they are over 5 years old.No one even sells them anymore.
And no you don't have to upgrade your power supply for this new card.Dell makes mostly reliable PSU's so they can handle the load of a 5670 or simlilar.
May 24, 2011 10:24:58 PM

Best answer selected by BRIAN_970.
June 10, 2011 11:34:43 PM

Brian_970 said:
Hello,
I am trying to decide on a new grphic card. One recomended by the manufacturer (Dell) is the VisionTEK
Radeon HD4650 PCIe 1GB HDMI SFF-Short + Tall
brackets. Another one I am considering is the Evga GeForce® GT 430 1 GB DDR3 PCIe 2.0 Graphics.
Any advice or comments on either card,or are there alterrnates I should consider? Thanks?


Ad an update to the MSI R5670 that was recomended:
MSI stated that the R5670 card Recommended is 400Watts + and that they are not sure on the space available in the Dell E510 whether or not the R5670 card will fit or have adequate cooling to run correctly.





a c 214 U Graphics card
June 11, 2011 12:25:14 AM

All GPU companies (MSI/Asus,etc.) overstate the actual power supply requirements because of power supply companies that use very cheap parts and don't actually diliever the power that they say they do.The 5670 itself doesn't use more than 90watts which is plenty for the rest of your PC.

The 5670 isn't a huge card and as long as you don't have any other cards in there you shouldn't have any airflow problems.
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 11, 2011 12:40:36 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!