Sign in with
Your question

HELP! Have I ruined my MB?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 24, 2012 12:31:46 AM

I got thermal grease (Zalman ZM-STG2) in the RAM slots on my MB. I know, possibly the dumbest thing in the world. If you really have to know how it happened, I'll tell you, but right now I really need to know how to fix this.

I used q-tips and 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean up as much as I could, but the q-tips are too big to fit in the holes. How can I clean up this mess? What can I use to get in there?

Thanx.

More about : ruined

a c 1033 V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 3:31:45 AM

Anything that fits and does not leave lint behind, just make sure you get everything out before you power it on.
July 24, 2012 3:46:27 AM

Any suggestions as to what would fit? I think I need something like a q-tip that I could swirl around a bit, but obviously an actual q-tip is way too big.
Related resources
a c 1033 V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 3:53:19 AM

A folded good quality paper towel is narrower then rinsing it out with alcohol and let it dry would work, a job that requires patience.
a c 145 V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 3:56:39 AM

Go to your local automotive or electronics shop and get a can of electronic contact cleaner. Use the included spraytube to spray inside the sockets, it should melt the paste away rather quickly.do not use this stuff indoors

EDIT: It looks something like this

http://www.cpcares.com/TAE/puretronics/TAE-5000.html

Some are greasy, avoid these. If you can get a can that's based on HCFCs then get that as it will work better than the non-HCFC compounds which are coming to market due to the CFC/HCFC phase out.
July 24, 2012 4:14:01 AM

+1 for contact cleaners, dries up very fast and gets the job done. just try not to spray it all over the place, use the included straw nozzle thing.
July 24, 2012 4:15:33 AM

maybe use a ram stick that you dont care about? it would fit perfectly into the slot......soak it up good first with the cleaning solution and plug it in a few times........best idea i can come up with.
July 24, 2012 4:34:13 AM

Thanx for the tips. I'll get a can of contact/circuit board cleaner and give that a try as it was also suggested to a kindred bonehead in Australia with the same problem.
a c 145 V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 6:50:08 AM

eljay69 said:
Thanx for the tips. I'll get a can of contact/circuit board cleaner and give that a try as it was also suggested to a kindred bonehead in Australia with the same problem.

The same problem? How many people are putting thermal paste in their DIMM slots?
July 30, 2012 3:07:48 AM

Update:

Went to a few stores and couldn't get any circuit board cleaner, so I tried another method before ordering some online.

Using a soft toothbrush dipped in 91% isopropyl alcohol and brushing in the slots, I'm able to pick pieces of the paste out with a pin, pull them out with tweezers and wipe some away with a lint-free paper towel. Still a bit of a patience game, but it's working well enough that I think I'll be able to complete the job this way.

Thanx again for all your help.

- eljay
a c 145 V Motherboard
July 30, 2012 4:11:24 AM

If it's stupid, but works, it isn't stupid.
!