HELP! Have I ruined my MB?

eljay69

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2012
I got thermal grease (Zalman ZM-STG2) in the RAM slots on my MB. I know, possibly the dumbest thing in the world. If you really have to know how it happened, I'll tell you, but right now I really need to know how to fix this.

I used q-tips and 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean up as much as I could, but the q-tips are too big to fit in the holes. How can I clean up this mess? What can I use to get in there?

Thanx.

Go to your local automotive or electronics shop and get a can of electronic contact cleaner. Use the included spraytube to spray inside the sockets, it should melt the paste away rather quickly.do not use this stuff indoors

EDIT: It looks something like this

http://www.cpcares.com/TAE/puretronics/TAE-5000.html

Some are greasy, avoid these. If you can get a can that's based on HCFCs then get that as it will work better than the non-HCFC compounds which are coming to market due to the CFC/HCFC phase out.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
maybe use a ram stick that you dont care about? it would fit perfectly into the slot......soak it up good first with the cleaning solution and plug it in a few times........best idea i can come up with.

eljay69

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2012
Thanx for the tips. I'll get a can of contact/circuit board cleaner and give that a try as it was also suggested to a kindred bonehead in Australia with the same problem.

The same problem? How many people are putting thermal paste in their DIMM slots?

eljay69

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2012
Update:

Went to a few stores and couldn't get any circuit board cleaner, so I tried another method before ordering some online.

Using a soft toothbrush dipped in 91% isopropyl alcohol and brushing in the slots, I'm able to pick pieces of the paste out with a pin, pull them out with tweezers and wipe some away with a lint-free paper towel. Still a bit of a patience game, but it's working well enough that I think I'll be able to complete the job this way.

Thanx again for all your help.

- eljay