Is my graphics card failing?

lotusmaster

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I tried to google it but I couldn't get a direct answer. For a couple day snow I've noticed any text on a white background, or any white text on a black background bleed to the right. I always see faded lines to the side of the text and I'm not really sure what it is. It couldn't be the monitor but before I went out and got a new one. I just wanted to know if it could be the graphics card instead.

lotusmaster

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
The computer has to be about 2 years old at the most. Same with the LCD screen. I just noticed today that they lines are gone. I haven't used my computer in days.

I wasn't able to switch the monitor to another computer but if the lines aren't there anymore does that mean it was the graphics card overheating or failing?

GanX

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Hey lotusmaster

This kind of problem is always hard to pinpoint. The issue can be in the graphic card or the monitor. Seeing stripes on the screen would make me look at the graphic card but if you are seeing text in the background I would be looking at the monitor.
If I where you I would be playing with the resolution, try to set it very low and see if the problem is still there. Another thing you can do is, reset the monitor to factory settings.

It would also be helpful to know what kind of graphic card you are using?! :)

GanX

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

Alright now we have something to work with :). There are a few options you can explore, first off you can test the other outputs of your graphics card. Usually you get all sorts of Cables with your monitor so you properly have a VGA, DVI and maybe even a HDMI Cable.
I know its not pretty but I would suggest that you try out the different ports in your graphic card to see if it makes any difference.

Another thing you might want to try is connection your computer to your TV. I don’t know if you have a TV or if you have one that’s not to old but most of them have HDMI or DVI inputs so you could use your TV as a test monitor.

Let us know what you find out (or if you have further questions) :)