Coolermaster 212+ On CM 690 ii Advanced

Rook28

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Hey all, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. It was the only new build place I could find, if it isn't I apologise.

I recently purchased new parts for a pc and have so far put in: the motherboard, RAM, PSU.. well that's about it.

Anyway, I was advised to get a Coolermaster 212+ if I want to overclock, but I am not too sure where I need to put it. The case is looking sort of cramped with all the wires.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

That case it great for cable management, try to get all the cables going round the back of the motherboard tray. The cooler goes where the little Intel cooler used to be, on top of your CPU.

Also, i had the misfortune of fitting this cooler into this case. The cutout in the motherboard tray isn't big enough, you have to take out the motherboard to put the backplate on first.

Rook28

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Thanks, I see what you mean now, I feel stupid haha.

Also is it better to have the fan sitting vertically (aiming at the front and back) or would it be better to have it horizontal, so looking down at the gpu and PSU?

Oh and probably another dumb question, but how much thermal paste should I be using? There is still some there from the intel fan.

remove any old thermal grease, and put half of the thermal grease tube that's enclosed with your Hyper 212+

Rook28

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Thanks, finally got the fan installed that was a pain taking off the mobo for it though.

While I am here, you wouldn't happen to have a guide for where all these.. coloured wires go. I have the power sw, and the reset sw. I put in the HDD led, now I have the Pow led + and -, and I have no idea where to put them.

As you can tell, my first time building one, sorry!

you'll find a small square written on it PWR + - , attach the green wire to + and the white wire to -

Yeah theyre written in tiny writing on the mobo usually, get a torch or something. The cooler is probably best with the fan blowing out the back of your case but it may be better the other way, you don't know until you try. With the thermal paste you just want a thin layer.

Rook28

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Thanks everyone, I put it all together and its all installed and so far seems to be working fine. I was getting 45'c on my cpu, though my room is damn hot right now so Im thinking that might be the cause.

Good luck to you too p07! I've heard good things about the Antec 900, so I'm sure you will have no problem with it.