DS: Nanostray - Anyone try it?

I just say this game for sale today (no demo where I am). All I have found
out about it so far is that it is a shooter (shmup). If it is any good, I
may have to get a DS sooner than I had planned (waiting for Castlevania).
9 answers Last reply
More about nanostray

    > I just say this game for sale today (no demo where I am). All I have
    > found out about it so far is that it is a shooter (shmup). If it is
    > any good, I may have to get a DS sooner than I had planned (waiting
    > for Castlevania).

    Kind of bad form to reply to one's own post, but a little more research
    found some gameplay videos at play-asia.com. Looks way cool. Looks like the
    lower screen is for display only?

    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-ba-70-s13.html

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:49:25 -0500, TheLightsAreOn
    <fake@thisaddress.com> wrote:

    >Kind of bad form to reply to one's own post, but a little more research
    >found some gameplay videos at play-asia.com. Looks way cool. Looks like the
    >lower screen is for display only?

    no the lower screen lets you switch weapons and other things... I dont
    rem what the other thing it does is(only going by what I read in
    reviews) IGN.com gave it a 8.0 review. I ordered it online last
    weekend (couldnt find it locally anywhere!) so I should have it
    sometime this week and will let you know. It does look cool as hell.

    > Kind of bad form to reply to one's own post, but a little more research
    > found some gameplay videos at play-asia.com. Looks way cool. Looks like
    > the
    > lower screen is for display only?
    >
    > http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-ba-70-s13.html

    Lower screen has a radar and allows you to switch weapons.
    Sort of useless because the action is so hectic (yes I have the game)
    that if you take your eyes off the upper screen long enough to look
    at the radar you are probably going to die. Also, since there are buttons
    that are not used, it would have been easier to switch weapons that
    way. Otherwise the game is lots of fun - especially if you like shooters
    like I do. Not much depth, but then who expects that in this type of game.

    >> Kind of bad form to reply to one's own post, but a little more
    >> research found some gameplay videos at play-asia.com. Looks way cool.
    >> Looks like the
    >> lower screen is for display only?
    >>
    >> http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-ba-70-s13.html
    >
    > Lower screen has a radar and allows you to switch weapons.
    > Sort of useless because the action is so hectic (yes I have the game)
    > that if you take your eyes off the upper screen long enough to look
    > at the radar you are probably going to die. Also, since there are
    > buttons that are not used, it would have been easier to switch weapons
    > that way. Otherwise the game is lots of fun - especially if you like
    > shooters like I do. Not much depth, but then who expects that in this
    > type of game.

    Looks like I will have to 'cancel' a few Gamecube and XBOX game
    purchases, and get a DS and this game.

    Thanks for the input.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "TheLightsAreOn" <fake@thisaddress.com> wrote in message

    >>> Kind of bad form to reply to one's own post, but a little more
    >>> research found some gameplay videos at play-asia.com. Looks way cool.
    >>> Looks like the
    >>> lower screen is for display only?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-ba-70-s13.html
    >>
    >> Lower screen has a radar and allows you to switch weapons.
    >> Sort of useless because the action is so hectic (yes I have the game)
    >> that if you take your eyes off the upper screen long enough to look
    >> at the radar you are probably going to die. Also, since there are
    >> buttons that are not used, it would have been easier to switch weapons
    >> that way. Otherwise the game is lots of fun - especially if you like
    >> shooters like I do. Not much depth, but then who expects that in this
    >> type of game.
    >>

    > Looks like I will have to 'cancel' a few Gamecube and XBOX game
    > purchases, and get a DS and this game.

    Reviews are kind of bad from what I've seen - one gave it a 5 out of 10. Not
    that I always agree with reviews though..
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:01:00 GMT, "Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Reviews are kind of bad from what I've seen - one gave it a 5 out of 10. Not
    >that I always agree with reviews though..

    IGN.com gate it a 8.5 out of 10,but Gamespot and 1UP.com gave it a 6.5
    out of 10. Not really overall bad reviews. Most of the complaints
    (aside from the awkward lower screen controls) were sort of silly,
    like not enough depth and poor storyline etc.. These people must be
    too young to appreciate a good shooter for what it is: A shooter!!
    LOL

    Im still waiting for my copy, looks like a fun game and gfx look
    superb.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "kevin" <kevnospam242@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:01:00 GMT, "Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Reviews are kind of bad from what I've seen - one gave it a 5 out of 10.
    >>Not
    >>that I always agree with reviews though..
    >
    > IGN.com gate it a 8.5 out of 10,but Gamespot and 1UP.com gave it a 6.5
    > out of 10. Not really overall bad reviews. Most of the complaints
    > (aside from the awkward lower screen controls) were sort of silly,
    > like not enough depth and poor storyline etc.. These people must be
    > too young to appreciate a good shooter for what it is: A shooter!!
    > LOL
    >
    > Im still waiting for my copy, looks like a fun game and gfx look
    > superb.

    Hehe - didn't see the IGN review...an 8.5 there is usually worth checking
    out. When you get a chance to play it you should post your impressions.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > "kevin" <kevnospam242@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:01:00 GMT, "Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Reviews are kind of bad from what I've seen - one gave it a 5 out of
    >>>10. Not
    >>>that I always agree with reviews though..
    >>
    >> IGN.com gate it a 8.5 out of 10,but Gamespot and 1UP.com gave it a
    >> 6.5 out of 10. Not really overall bad reviews. Most of the
    >> complaints (aside from the awkward lower screen controls) were sort
    >> of silly, like not enough depth and poor storyline etc.. These people
    >> must be too young to appreciate a good shooter for what it is: A
    >> shooter!! LOL
    >>
    >> Im still waiting for my copy, looks like a fun game and gfx look
    >> superb.
    >
    > Hehe - didn't see the IGN review...an 8.5 there is usually worth
    > checking out. When you get a chance to play it you should post your
    > impressions.

    I always try to avoid site/magazine reviews. They will always be slanted
    one way or the other (very high or very low). I did see a score of 5.5 at
    one site or another while researching, and when they mentioned lack of plot
    or story, I gave an out loud laugh. The only plot I need is: See enemy -
    Shoot enemy!
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:04:57 GMT, "Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hehe - didn't see the IGN review...an 8.5 there is usually worth checking
    >out. When you get a chance to play it you should post your impressions.

    I recieved it today in the mail. The Graphics are great. The game
    is pretty hard, altho I have not had much of a chance to get
    accustomed to the controls which are pretty complex, there are 4
    different "sets" of weapons and you need to remember which weapons are
    best at what time etc... needless to say I haven't made it very far
    yet.

    It's hard for me to say with this one, because there is a steep
    learning curve (for me at least). I think I will be better able to
    tell you how I feel about it in a few days.

Console Gaming Video Games