Never owned a laptop - don't know where to start

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2005 1:35:34 PM

I would like a laptop that allows me to do the following:

Edit/design websites using:
Adobe Photoshop CS,ImageReady and GoLive
Macromedia Suite (Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks)

I'll also be running Acrobat Pro 7.0 and a myriad of other
graphics/editing programs

Take advantage of wireless internet access using both my cell phone and
"hotspots".

I need a cd/dvd reader/writer

ability to use a regular mouse (can't hang with the touch pad deal:)
and printer when needed.

I'll also be doing some editing of home movies.

I'm interested in both specs as well as name brands.

Because I've never owned a laptop any feedback would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Jennifer

More about : owned laptop start

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2005 2:29:20 PM

I'm not a user of the software you mention but can offer that most any
laptop with a usb port will handle the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical
Mouse. It is a great mouse for laptops.

I use a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop which is a great unit. About 5 hours on
the 65 WHr 8 cell Lithium ion battery. You can see all of the specs at the
Dell site.

Good hunting.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"MsQCrab" <queeniecrab@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I would like a laptop that allows me to do the following:
>
> Edit/design websites using:
> Adobe Photoshop CS,ImageReady and GoLive
> Macromedia Suite (Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks)
>
> I'll also be running Acrobat Pro 7.0 and a myriad of other
> graphics/editing programs
>
> Take advantage of wireless internet access using both my cell phone and
> "hotspots".
>
> I need a cd/dvd reader/writer
>
> ability to use a regular mouse (can't hang with the touch pad deal:)
> and printer when needed.
>
> I'll also be doing some editing of home movies.
>
> I'm interested in both specs as well as name brands.
>
> Because I've never owned a laptop any feedback would be appreciated!
> Thanks!
> Jennifer

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2005 2:56:00 PM

Thanks for the helpful feedback :)
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2005 2:57:36 PM

Do you by any chance know what would be comparable in a PC? I'm not
ready to start with a new OS :)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2005 2:59:00 PM

actually I start with the specs first then go from there...but thanks
for your feedback.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2005 4:54:19 PM

In article <1122136534.143003.61210@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"MsQCrab" <queeniecrab@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would like a laptop that allows me to do the following:
>
> Edit/design websites using:
> Adobe Photoshop CS,ImageReady and GoLive
> Macromedia Suite (Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks)

For that kinda stuff, I think you¹de do well with an Apple Powerbook.
Of course, if the software you already own is for Windows, you¹de have
to buy the Mac version to use on a Powerbook.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

easy. you start by finding how much money you are willing to spend

"MsQCrab" <queeniecrab@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I would like a laptop that allows me to do the following:
>
> Edit/design websites using:
> Adobe Photoshop CS,ImageReady and GoLive
> Macromedia Suite (Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks)
>
> I'll also be running Acrobat Pro 7.0 and a myriad of other
> graphics/editing programs
>
> Take advantage of wireless internet access using both my cell phone and
> "hotspots".
>
> I need a cd/dvd reader/writer
>
> ability to use a regular mouse (can't hang with the touch pad deal:)
> and printer when needed.
>
> I'll also be doing some editing of home movies.
>
> I'm interested in both specs as well as name brands.
>
> Because I've never owned a laptop any feedback would be appreciated!
> Thanks!
> Jennifer

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2005 5:28:06 PM

On 23 Jul 2005 09:35:34 -0700, "MsQCrab" <queeniecrab@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I would like a laptop that allows me to do the following:
>
>Edit/design websites using:
>Adobe Photoshop CS,ImageReady and GoLive
>Macromedia Suite (Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks)
>
>I'll also be running Acrobat Pro 7.0 and a myriad of other
>graphics/editing programs
>
>Take advantage of wireless internet access using both my cell phone and
>"hotspots".
>
>I need a cd/dvd reader/writer
>
>ability to use a regular mouse (can't hang with the touch pad deal:)
>and printer when needed.
>
>I'll also be doing some editing of home movies.
>
>I'm interested in both specs as well as name brands.
>
>Because I've never owned a laptop any feedback would be appreciated!
>Thanks!
>Jennifer

CNET has an "ExactChoice Recommender" at:
http://www.exactchoice.com/Type.aspx

The tool will ask you a series of questions about your needs and then
make suggestion on which laptop to consider. For "size" of notebook,
I'd suggest selecting both Standard notebook and Desktop Replacement.

Once a best match has been found, you can do a product compare, see a
product review and even view customization options with price impact.

Cmax
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2005 5:33:20 PM

THANK YOU!!!! :)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 23, 2005 6:39:55 PM

"MsQCrab" <queeniecrab@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I would like a laptop that allows me to do the following:
>
> Edit/design websites using:
> Adobe Photoshop CS,ImageReady and GoLive
> Macromedia Suite (Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks)
>
> I'll also be running Acrobat Pro 7.0 and a myriad of other
> graphics/editing programs
>
> Take advantage of wireless internet access using both my cell phone and
> "hotspots".
>
> I need a cd/dvd reader/writer
>
> ability to use a regular mouse (can't hang with the touch pad deal:)
> and printer when needed.
>
> I'll also be doing some editing of home movies.

Video editing is among the most taxing of tasks for any computer but
especially for a laptop. Get the largest HD you can. Fast too. You will
probably want an external hard drive for storing old but important video
footage without using up space on your laptop. I believe video can be
captured using either firewire or USB2 but make sure your camcorder and
laptop match up in that respect especially if you'll be using USB for the
mouse. Get 1GB of memory too and one of the faster M processors. If you
configure your laptop for video-editing, it should have no trouble handling
the other tasks you envision.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 24, 2005 8:11:30 PM

You need the fastest processor, paired with the fastest Front Side Bus speed
you can get, most RAM, beefiest and fastest video card and largest, fastest
hard drive you can configure in whatever brand suits your preferences.
Nearly every new mid-range to high-end laptop today has wireless built in.
The same for firewire and USB 2.0 ports. You will have your choice of
optical drive combinations, too.

As for brands, you can't go wrong if you stay with makers like Dell,
Toshiba, Acer, HP or even some of the "boutique" shops like AlienWare. They
all have a way to configure the laptop the way you want it. The only issue
you will have is cost. If you go to the Dell website and choose the
Inspiron 9300, for instance, and trick it out with the best of everything
you will be looking at a $2000 to $2500 laptop with no problem. I would
point out that for $2500 you can have an absolutely awesome, blisteringly
fast, kick-ass desktop with a 19 inch LCD display.

!