Zodan

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Hi everyone,

Just built a new system, been about 12 years since I built one myself.

I ended up going with a i5-2500k in an Asrock p67 pro3 motherboard with a cooler master hyper 212 plus cooler.

I found the install of the cooler in general (backplane, thermal compound, cooler itself) to be rather difficult and I'm wondering if I might have done something wrong.

I used coretemp and real temp to monitor the temperatures of my cores.

idle: 28, 31, 32, 35
after 12 hours of prime 95 small test: 47, 52, 53, 53

I believe in general these are pretty good numbers? I haven't done any overclocking btw.

What confused me is why the 1st core is so much cooler than the rest and why the 4th core is often hotter than the others (always is at idle)

Could I have done something wrong during my install of my cooler? Is there something wrong with the cpu?

Thanks very much for any thoughts!

Zodan

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
thanks very much for the reply. Maybe I should just stop freaking out and enjoy my system :)

I still can't help but be curious about why the core display different temperatures at roughly 0% and 100% load. Shouldn't they be roughly equivalent? That first core is always cooler....

did I tighten the cooler better near it? get the thermal paste better on that core? Or do processors normally have different temperatures across their different cores?

Just curious, thanks for any thoughts!