Computer realy slow after boot.

blablacentral

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
the last few times iv turned my laptop on i noticed the wallpaper and icons took a wile to load like 3 seconds instead of instant. also i noticed even if i waited like 30 seconds or so to click the firefox icon it still took like 10-15 seconds for the internet to load up and after that typing and loading was slow.

its not just the internet either my start menu will have a delay and anything i click to start has delays and bugs. also the biggest thing i notice win this happens is the hard drive led stays solid instead of blinking or going out completely like it is sapost to do.

the only way i found to fix it was to restart my laptop and once it took two restarts to fix it. the problem dosent always happen but i know it cant be a good thing when it does.

whats causing this and what can i do to fix it. is it a hardware or software problem.

its a software problem most likely . Id say windows has a damaged file , or an update thats gone wrong .

Unfortunately you dont mention your operating system , but the generic fix is run system restore .....to a date BEFORE the problem appeared .

Something similar happened to me recently . In my case it was a firefox quiktime plugin . Apple [ as usual ]write really useless software for pc's

craighay

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
I'd attack the problem from two angles: 1) Is it a low-power situation where the CPU is being throttled back? - like when running on battery only? 2) HDD issues - How full is your HDD? Have you deleted unnecessary files and defragged? What about your Windows Registry? Have you run a cleanup/defrag on that? Get some "speed-up-your-PC" utility software and use it. I personally use Boostspeed http://pc-system-utilities-software-review.toptenreviews.com/boostspeed-review.html but any of those on this link will do the trick.

blablacentral

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
im running windows 7, its plugged in and has full power, i run atf cleaner and ccleaner before i log off every night and run malewarebytes once a week all of which are up to date. i haven't defraged in like 3 months but plan to sooner or later.

how do i restore the windows updates and crap to how it was before the problem.

on the hdd topic i thought so to because the hdd activity led stays on solid the entire time.

funny thing the light just went back to off/blinking and everything is running fine but it took me 5 min from the time i typed in my password to get on the internet and get to tomshardware to type this. and 5 min from what like 10 sec ya thats a big difference. so evidently if i wait like 5-10 min the problem goes away but i know that shouldn't be necessary these days on a 1,000 dollar laptop to log in and let your stuff get situated before use.

TRENDING THREADS