Advice on cooling system

bblouie

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
I have a Dell Inspiron 531 which I upgraded to an Athlon 64 X2 5800+ (Brisbane, 3.0 ghz) from an Athlon 64 X2 (Bribane, 2.1 ghz) but am still using the stock heatsink and fan that came with the system. I’ve been monitoring the CPU and GPU (Sapphire ATI Radeon 4850, single slot cooling) temps with Everest (Power supply is a BFG Tech 650W ATX EPS).

Even with the system is idling, my core temps are 60c and my GPU is 85c (I’ve read this card tends to run hot and I just let the card software automatically regulate the fan speed). I use my PC mainly to play TF2 and have never had any overheating problems. However, my computer shutdown twice in the past month when playing other games. I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can cool down my PC? I recently replaced the case fan but noticed that it’s rpm was only around 800 until I plugged it into a 4pin molex connector instead of the motherboard. Although I can read its current rpm, I believe that it is constantly at full speed now (2100 rpm, I know, not a lot).

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
bblouie looks like that case doesn't have very good ventilation in it with only 1 fan on the back and I don't know what size it is,I'd say your not getting good air flow through that case.sense it only has a small vent on the front left side of the case I would say that the air flow was alote of your problem.also there is no other way to improve the air flow on that case.I would suggest maybe this one http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll200/11-146-025-28.jpg i had it before the antec nine hundred I have now.it did a great job at cooling when you put in a side fan and a extra back fan.hope this helps you out

bblouie

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009

Major, thanks for the advice. I'm reading up on buying a new case. Some sites I've visited have said that it can be difficult to find a case to fit the Dell motherboard because they structure it in a proprietary way. But I believe I may be able to take the i/o panel of my case and use it on the new one. Do you have any other advice for buying a case? I'll check out the one you suggested as well. Thanks for all your help!

bblouie

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009

Unfortunately, the case can only accommodate a 92mm fan.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
bblouie your mobo is a micro atx and the case that I suggested will let you put a micor atx mobo in it,go to newegg and look at different cases the specs on the case should tell you if it will fit. {yes you could mode the case you have but the time and the work you put in it is just not worth it.just go to newegg and see what cases will fit the micro atx mobo.if you need more help thats no problem I will help just take your time and check out different cases.it does make a different in keeping the pc parts working correctly.hope this help you.

bblouie

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009

Thanks for all the help so far, Major. I didn't realize my mobo was microatx, so that helps a lot when I'm searching.

One other concern I have is regarding the front panel connector. I've read that Dell uses proprietary connectors. The following link has a picture of the front panel connectors.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WN097-DELL-I%2FO-FRONT-PANEL-INSPIRON-531-VOSTRO-200_W0QQitemZ250433978875QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090530?IMSfp=TL090530121001r33593

I wanted to ask if these connectors look pretty standard for a mobo.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
bblouie that motherboard is proprietary connector.unless it is marked on the header were those connectors plugged up at.it will be dam near impossible to find a case to hook up to that mobo.

that's were company like dell,compaq hp acer gateway get you they want you to buy there parts only.

that's the reason I alway's have built my pc for the last 15 years you can always build yourself a better pc than what they can build it for.it's not that hard to do.

you only have a few choices here (1) mod the case some how that you have (2) replace mobo and case,sense you have already upgraded cpu .i know this is going to be hard decision.

what ever the decision may be you can aways get good help at toms hardware.and people will come in and help you.any more help all you have to do is ask. i'll be here.lol