MegaBlaze007

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Well...one more strange problem with my PC! As the title says, my motherboard won't boot up but randomly boots up by itself!

Now a detailed explanation.
Firstly my motherboard is Asus P5GC-MX/1333. When I first got it, I had a 20-pin PSU of 300W and I've used it for about 2 weeks. Then one day, when I came home I wanted to use my PC as always but this time it wouldn't boot up! I didn't know what to do, I opened my CPU and started staring at it, hoping to find a solution when suddenly, the motherboard boots up all by itself! It didn't load the BIOS though and it wouldn't even turn off so I had to turn off the power switch directly. Then I turned on the main switch and tried booting up the board again but it wouldn't boot up once again and after a while booted up by itself(BIOS not loaded once again). After a number of tries it finally booted up and loaded the BIOS normally and I was able to use the PC.

As the PC finally booted up normally, I took the chance to read the manual of the board in which I found that if a 20-pin PSU is used, a minimum of 350W is recommended! So the next day I bought a 20+4PIN PSU off 500W and connected everything. Back then, everything was working normally, motherboard booting up with BIOS loaded. The following day, I faced the same problem again and even today, before I could come on tom's hardware I faced the problem!

Now one thing is clear, the problem is not about the PSU cause its new and I feel is delivering enough power to the motherboard. Is it the motherboard, ram or something else?

That board is near the end of life as far as the capacitors go; or it could be a short somewhere. I would remove the board and check for a loose standoff or loose wire underneath. Check the backplate for metal to metal contact with the ports on the board. Last I would reset the bios by removing the board battery in case one of the power on settings is wrong, such as set to boot by the keyboard or mouse.

MegaBlaze007

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

i tried only one of those you mentioned...removed the battery to reset bios...can you please explain how to do the others please?

The other recommendation is simply to remount the board inside the case; while it's off, check under and behind the board (backplate) for any loose wires, standoffs (under the board). You're checking for any contact that could cause a short. It's a longshot, but at this point, if you want the problem to stop, it can't hurt. Bad capacitors are something that most folks won't try to replace; the parts are cheap enough, but soldering them into the board is a little tricky, not for amateurs.

MegaBlaze007

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

i checked everything...no loose wires or contact with backplate, i even tried booting the board in my hands! yet nothing...today i observed something..i let the main switch on...and after about 15-20 minutes i tried booting the board and it started...without the bios though! so i had to turn on and off until the bios is loaded. it's some kind of warming up before the board is booted properly!