NVIDIA gtx 600 series vs AMD hd 7000 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
It's really hard to say this early on. Keep in mind, there isn't really a clear winner even between the 500 series and the 6000 series. There are always tradeoffs and there is a degree of subjectivity. Brand preference also comes into play.

The 6990 is slightly faster than the 590, but most prefer the 590 because of the much lower noise level.

The 580 is the fastest single gpu card but the performance/dollar is lower than several of the other high end cards.

Bottom line is that there rarely is going to be one card that is flat out a better proposition than what the other side is offering. Plus, there haven't been many details released so anything out there is nearly pure speculation.

G

LOL! how about a new company comes along beating both ATI(NOW ITS AMD) and NVIDIA!

Though :p I had a bad history with ATI cards,so i preffer always nvidia!
lol when i was10 i got a ATI CARD lol! but after 3 days of gaming it blew up suddenly!
warrany was there but they said my psu is faulty!

lol now i am 16! Now I have bought about 4-7 gpus already from nvidia still its working fine lol!

parkerm35

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

Your comment is pointless, boring and irrelevant. So what's with all the lol's?

I'd be surprised if one dominates the other. I mean I know they're doing die shrinks so that's awesome. 600 series is Kepler right?

In the end, whoever makes the better cards, we all win. I'm waiting till next gen for my next upgrade, because it *should* be very impressive.

weezernation

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
From what i have heard, Nvidia is going to be using a new type of chip and also might upgrade their vapor chamber design. With these new chips, we really do not know what to expect from the new cards. But, my heart is always with Nvidia for their customer service and great quality cards.

we will know the answer when both card officially got launch by the end of this year or early next year :)

Retaliator

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Well its all specullation, but atm id go with the radeon, currently have an o/c 6970 runs every game maxed out with great frame rates and no issues, my previous 3 nvidia cards all had to be sent back for warranty within a week of purchasing so nvidia can suck dick for all i care, And thats my 2 cents hehe :)

my last 3 cards were nvidia and i never have any problem with either of the card. never have any problem with my previous radeons as well :p

celpas

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010

That's personal experience.Previously I owned A 4850 and the driver support from AMD was horrendous.With each new release I honestly spent more time trying to find which driver worked best because for some games when fps increased for other games they decreased.I bought my gtx 275 a year ago and it has given me no problems till now(except in bfbc2 which had screen flickering in 270.61 but was solved with 275.33) :p

Retaliator

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
At the end of the day it comes down to personal taste , As I stated I had 3 bad experiences in a row from nvidia (Different card vendors aswell) , My 2nd Ati card atm (1st was a HD4870), havent ever had a drama with my 2 radeons so atm ill stick with Ati unless nvidia come out with something real special thats not double the price of the radeon for an extra 10fps.. As you guys stated comes down to personal taste and experiances.

i think the true moral of value is you can't say this X product is bad just because you never had a good experience with them. if the the product are truly bad then majority of the people will also complain about it. :)

Retaliator

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

Too true.

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
From what I understand the 600 series is going to be a die shrink and have a totally revamped architecture (Kepler) which is supposed to be much more efficient than Fermi.

However, for the 7000 series it is only going to be a die shrink of the 6000 series, with perhaps the exception of the 7900 series, though the 7800 series and below are not.

Therefore I'm leaning towards the 600 series.

This is just educated guessing though from some articles which may or may not be true, and from talking to a guy on another forum back in April who apparently worked for nVidia and seems legit according to the other members there.

Article:

Rumour: NVIDIA's next-gen Kepler taped out, AMD Southern Islands in September

Forum discussion:

Lord Sojar on Kepler

Retaliator

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
What your saying sounds pretty on the money, However Nvidia generally do have the faster card, Just depends on their pricing for the relative performance.

Dabigado

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

im sorry but i have to agree with this amazing statement! XD

I changed to a 560 Ti recently from a 4850 crossfire setup, so i guess i will be skipping that generation, not to mention i could get another 560Ti later on and get a good boost (or upgrade to a new gen if the cost is close same as performance :D).

dablackfox

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
personal exprience then what i think about the topic.

Firstly i have had many nvidia cards and radeon cards, i have had 2 nvidia cards that came in the box with problems (red artifacts would apear when i installed any drivers. I had to send them both back, evga btw) and one radeon card that worked on windows vista only. no drivers for win7 or winxp or even linux.

So what it comes down to is luck sometimes you get a good card sometimes you get a *** card.

Now for the topic at hand, with all new things comes bugs breaks and fixes, personally im going to wait until all of the 600 series cards are on the market and have good reviews before i get one.

As for the radeon 7000 series i wont be getting simply because i have this thing were i don't get a radeon unless im running an amd cpu, and since i have no machines with a amd cpu i wont be getting one unless i do.

so for me amd=ati
and intel=nvidia
as for the verdict which will win? radeon will win when it comes to benchmarks, but nvidia will win in sales.
and yes nvidia will be the better card to get for myself because radeon doesn't have phisx (last i heard)

as for the verdict which will win? radeon will win when it comes to benchmarks, but nvidia will win in sales.

you can't put it like that dude. let me ask this: can you find a benchmark where HD6970 (amd (ati) current flagship) win against GTX580 (nvidia current flagship) in every games tested out there? some games favors the red camp and some others the green camp and some other perform just the same given both card from both camp have same performance level. in short you can just make wild conclusion than radeon will own all the benchmark against nvidia.

and yes nvidia will be the better card to get for myself because radeon doesn't have phisx (last i heard)

having physx does not make the nvidia card better. it was one of the extra feature for nvidia cards. however there are very few games out there using the feature to the extreme to make this feature significantly important to most gamers. radeon doesn't have physx because the technology was owned by nvidia.

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Prorbably will mirror whats going on wiht 6990 and 590.
ATI 7000 little bit faster but more noise and bigger
GTX 600 more conservative clock for its potential (unless when other manufacturers OC it), more quiet, and probably higher build quailty

Status
Not open for further replies.