vernonbez

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Hey guys just want to upgrade my pc but im not sure what to upgrade because my budget is limited my pc spec are:

Motherboard: Asus M4N68T-M AM3

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 T1090, 9MB, AM3, Six Core, 3.2GHz

Ram: 2x4GB DDR3-1333 Kingston

PSU: 550W ATX Power Supply- Huntkey Greenpower

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB

HDD: 500Gb and a 1TB

Any suggestions because a friend of mines specs are exactly the same except for the AMD 880G Chipset DDR3 Motherboard, CPU:AMD Phenom II X6 T1075 and his graphics are GTS450 1GB, but his pc is faster and playes at higher graphics as mine any suggestions?

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Your biggest upgrade for gaming/graphics would be a new GPU. Since your motherboard doesn't support Crossfire you'd have to get a replacement card instead of dropping in a second 5770. What is your budget for this upgrade? That could potentially make a difference in what path you should take.

vernonbez

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
But isnt the HD5770 better than the GTS450, would it be cheaper just to by a better motherboard? Like a Asus M4A88T-M LE

cuecuemore

Distinguished
If you're going to buy a new motherboard, go with a board that has AM3+ socket and new chipset (970 or 990X/990FX, I believe) That way you can upgrade to a new CPU when the need arises. I don't know what would be holding your current graphics card back, I'm not too well versed in AMD chipsets even though I have an X4 965 BE; my chipset is made by Nvidia, the 980a.

You do need to replace your mobo. The HD5770 is stronger than the GTS450, but is being held back because the ancient chipset on your mobo only supports 2000MT/s Hypertransport, rather than the current 5200MT/s.
BTW, if this is your PSU: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Huntkey-Green-Star-550-W-LW-6550SG-Power-Supply-Review/668/10 then I would not put anything more than that HD5770 on it.
This is the least expensive socket AM3+ board I would suggest: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131767 but with x16,x4 slots, it will be suitable for a single video card only.

QwertyMusicMan

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Your current system seems to be great. Just spend all of your cash on a new GPU and the rest of your computer should be able handle nearly-everything. :)

^-1. Yes, a new GPU could be faster, but will also under-perform. Unless the game is Civilization V, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/296?vs=316 shows your card should be out-performing the GTS450. That it isn't suggests something is holding it back. Your CPU is a little faster than your friend's, so it's not that. Compare your card's actual performance to the benchmarks. I'd be surprised if your system equals those benchmarks. That means you can spend $250-$300 on a new GPU and PSU to run it, or you can spend $100 on a mobo that will allow your current GPU to perform up to its potential.
If you're still not convinced, you and your friend should clear out your old drivers and then swap cards for a further test.

QwertyMusicMan

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
^ If you get a better mobo and even a modern mid-range graphics card you should do just fine. The problem is: Your processor has six cores, and anything more than four in gaming is practically useless. It's a very powerful processor, and your GPU isn't quite as good. A new mobo will help right now, but in a year or so you should also upgrade your GPU, and since your mobo and processor are both great they should be able to handle anything you throw at it. :)

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Well my suggestion would be to first upgrade mobo, along with psu, and then gpu if you still have money. There is no point in getting a new gpu unless your system can handle it and use it to its full potential.