Current PC vs Custom Built PC?

AbdullahG

Distinguished
My current PC is this:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02479701&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=4269976&prodTypeId=12454

I've added a Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5, Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz, and a 600W PSU. I've been thinking about applying those to a new build, but I'm not sure if I should spend the money on such an option. Is my current PC great for high-end gaming or will my own build give me better performance (by better, I mean a more noticeable change)? I'm not sure if I will do CrossFire in the future, but not anytime soon.

Things to Know:
1. I have about $500.
2. I cannot OC on my current MoBo.

Solution
Your current machine is a reasonable gaming machine. For $500 you could get a I5 2500K, a new motherboard and full size case, then reuse your other components. Performance would get a noticeable boost. Bare in mind you would need new windows OS since the HP OEM license is only for the HP!
Your current machine is a reasonable gaming machine. For $500 you could get a I5 2500K, a new motherboard and full size case, then reuse your other components. Performance would get a noticeable boost. Bare in mind you would need new windows OS since the HP OEM license is only for the HP!

Solution

ram1009

Distinguished
Almost any PC with a current CPU & GPU & sufficient RAM will run current games at or near max settings because the games are dummed down to be able to run on 5 year old consoles. My advice is to see how your favorite game runs on your current PC and if you're satisfied save your money for a time when your PC no longer does what you want it to do. Trying to stay ahead of the performance curve is an expensive exercise in tail chasing with diminishing returns for the dollars spent.

0ozee

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Not worth upgrading, you're pc would run most if not all games maxed 1920x1080

i have lesser specs then you and run bf3 alpha max 1920x1080 40+ fps, there is no need to upgrade