CPU max wattage

Munchkin9

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
I am a little confused about this so I need some help: I have a CPU that apparently requires 125W. If I wish to install it on a computer I need to know what CPU wattage that motherboard can dispense right? And can this be changes by changing the power supply?

Weirdly worded...mainly what I want to know is: What information do I need to know if a computer can handle a processor? And what parts of this can I alter by getting different things (PSU etc)?

As ever thank you for any help you can provide.
-Munchkin9

Munchkin9

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
The CPU is a AMD Phenom II x4 955.

And the motherboard is anything I can get my hands on. Basically I'm looking for a very cheap computer (with poor components) to buy and replace with my CPU and graphics card. So I need to know which computers will be compatible.

I am trying to find out if it would be cheaper to simply buy a pre-made computer and replace some of it with the parts I have. Or to buy everything I need to make a computer that is compatible with the parts I have.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010

I've never ran into issues with CPU wattage, I mean as long as you match socket type it should be fine.

Ex: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138329 Biostar mobo.

beenthere

Distinguished
Yes some mobos only support CPUs up to 95W vs. the more robust mobos that fully support 125W or more. Each mobo maker will tell you what CPU models are supported and/or what CPU wattage is the maximum supported. So for a 125W CPU, you need a proper 125W capable mobo or you could burn out the VRM circuit of the mobo or it may just shut down under load from insufficient power.

The PSU has no effect on the VRM circuit supplying enough power to the CPU, as long as the PSU has sufficient power for your entire PC.

Munchkin9

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Thank you all very much for your answers. I am having a little trouble finding out what CPU wattage a motherboard can handle. This might be because I am looking into pre-made comps though.

When you are seeing a processor listed as 95w or 125w it is talking about TDP or Thermal Design Power. This is the amount of cooling that the processor requires to keep it in a safe stop temperature wise. You don’t base selecting of a board off from wattage of the processor but off from supported processor list for that board. The exception to this is with small form factors like a Mini-ITX which may not have cooling need to match up with hotter running CPUs.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Munchkin9

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
So it seems I wont succeed to find a cheap pre-made pc for this. So does anyone see any problems with this build before I order it (I've asked pretty much the same question in another thread but better safe than sorry):

Case: APEX SK-393-C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Motherboard: MSI 870S-G46 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955BE

Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX16GX3M4A1333C9

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700

PSU: ...I don't know but it is already running the video card so it should be fine right?

HardDrive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Did I forget anything? Sound cards and all should be fine cannibalized from my current comp I believe.